Chapter 3

Chapter 3: Avi

"What's an old man like you doing out here?" I make my words sound like his, and my eyes narrow into tight slits causing him to grin.

"I live out here!" His obnoxious voice bellows out, causing Marlowe and I to flinch.

"Stop! Those things are attracted to noise, " I whisper harshly, adjusting my pack to sit more comfortably on my shoulders. They are huge, filled with necessities, and used for hiking. The camo pattern makes it easy for us to hide them, from the undead to the totally alive. Ever since the collapse, people just decided that's it's every man for himself. If someone leaves food and ammo, it's gone in seconds. "And we're just passing through." I say uneasily.

I glance sideways at Marlowe and can sense her discomfort. She never is one to be comfortable around strangers with a gun, and yet, neither am I. I nudge her hand gently so she looks back at me.

"Where are you pretty little ladies headed?" He pries, his smile growing.

"We were just leaving." We're both surprised when Marlowe snaps at him. "C'mon, Avi, let's go."

She walks off, annoyed. Anger fizzes off her. I feel that if I place a raw egg on her aggravated head, I will have a sunny side up in moments.

I can't see her face, but I know her cheeks are flushed in annoyance. I hold back laughter at her childishness, but I remember he is being very snoopy.

"Hey now," he jogs to catch up to us," I'm not some kind of pervert, if that's what you think. I was just asking." He smiles sheepishly.

"We're leaving." I start to follow Marlowe again, but he grabs my arm to stop me.

"It's getting late. Why don't you stay here for the night then move on?" His half smile makes me stop to think.

A bed? How long has it been since I've had that comfort? "Just one night... That's it?" My eyes narrow slightly and reveal my suspicion.

"I'll kick you out at dawn." His grin widens.

Marlowe glances our way, a look of impatience written clearly on her face.

I sigh, making the decision for us both and knowing I'll get a good ass whipping from Marlowe later. "Show us the way."

Marlowe will have to thank me later, after the anger settles in, that is.