Chapter 7

Chapter 7: Avi

"Mar, I think it's time to..." My words falter when I notice she isn't lying next to me.

My brow furrows in bewilderment.

"Marlowe?" I sit up my fingers grasping around my knife, not sure if the weapon would prepare me for a fight.

I slowly stand up, my knees still weak and tired from my drowsiness, but I fight through it.

My steps are slow and unsteady as I make my way toward the barn door. I hold the knife tighter until my knuckles are white, but still squeeze tighter.

I take a deep breath and step outside, holding the knife out in front of me. My mind is jumbled and confused when there is nothing in sight.

I hear laughing from the little white house, and something I never thought I'd hear again: Music.

I glance toward the porch and make my way to the front door.

I hesitate before I knock, then I stand back and try to hide the knife. The door opens and Reyes' smiling face appears behind the screen.

"Well, look who's up?" He moves to make a pathway for me to enter the house.

"Where is she?" I demand, fearing the worst.

Oh God, I should've listened to her. If she is dead, it's all my fault. We should have left when we had the-

"Well, she's inside, eating. You'd better get in there before she finishes it all!" He chuckles.

I don't hesitate, and race through the house, until I find her sitting at the kitchen island.

"Do you have a death wish? I wake up to find that you're missing, and can't help but think zekes got you, but now you're just here eating..." I sputter.

She turns to me, a smile painted on her face, holding something I couldn't even believe I was seeing. "...bacon?"