Chapter 27

Chapter 27: Avi

We both jump up and race bak to where the group is still sleeping.

I shake Marlowe and Easton, while Toni wakes up Jon and Nikki, "Get up! Marlowe! Easton! They got through!"

I unsheathed me machete and hear Toni shout incredulously, "Where the hell did you get a fucking machete?"

"You'd be surprised to know that they're everywhere!" I shout back and stab the first of the infected that appears.

"I want to get one then!"

"Hell no! Machetes are my thing!" I hear him laugh and watch as he raced forward with...

"You got a katana?" I demand. "How'd you et one of those?"

"You'd be surprised that they...are very rare and it was hard to find!"

We stand side by side and fight the undead but it as if they are multiplying.

"Follow me." Marlowe tries to shout, but it comes out as a hoarse croak as she races towards the other side of the building.

I continue to fight until I am the only one that hasn't followed her. I stab one more in the head and sprint the way they went.

I am surprised to see they all are inside a delivery truck in a garage but push myself to go faster. I can't help but think that I am stuck in this situation a lot.

I fall, twisting my ankle painfully. I try to stand but fall back down in pain. I turn to block an infected from biting my arm. I look up to see Easton holding onto Marlowe while she tries desperately to get to me.

Oh God, I'm gonna die.

The strength in my arms is starting to decrease and the zeke's teeth are just inches from my face.

I scream when my arms give out and I close my eyes, expecting the end of my life. When I don't feel anything, I open one of my eyes and glance up to see Toni stabbing the zeke that was on me.

He reaches for me and lifts me up into his arms. He throws himself at the truck and twists so we land on him.

The only thing I can feel is pain from my ankle and I start crying loudly.

Reality sets in and I begin to sob louder when I realize I could've just died.

But I'm safe now, and I owe it all to Toni.