Chapter 4

Chapter 4: Marlowe

"You said okay? Without asking me?" I hiss at Avi, "Why the hell would you do that? Does my opinion even matter to you?"

I can't believe her. She goes from moping around and puking at the sight of a couple infected to being the leader? The decision maker?

She should know not to trust anyone, even if they do promise beds and a meal. I hoped I had rubbed off on her, knocked some sense into her, but no. She acts just like she always has.

"You are always so suspicious of people. Have you ever thought that maybe there are some good people left?" Avi whispers, following in his footsteps.

I sigh. "Maybe so, but we wouldn't know that until we got to know the person... Which is something you do before you move in with them! We don't even know his name."

"You're so dramatic. It's only one night, then we're gone, alright?" She speeds up to walk next to him." What's your name again?" She asks a little too innocently.

He doesn't take his eyes off the path ahead. "Jim Reyes. But you can call me Reyes."

"I'm---"

He interrupts Avi and smiles. "Yeah, I know who you are... Avi." She smiles shyly and looks down at the road.

Reyes turns back with a grin and looks at me. "Didn't quite catch your name darlin' . What was that again?"

"I didn't say." I glare at him. He looks taken aback, and he turns back around, hurt.

"Okay then, hon." He breathes. I almost feel sorry, but I remind myself that there are only a few people out there a person can really trust, and he's probably not one of them.

He leads us to a clearing. There is a small, white house and barn with red paint peeling off it. I can hear the sounds of animals in and behind the barn, but I'm not sure what kind. The sweet smell of hay lingers everywhere.

"I have a couple spare bedrooms upstairs. You can crash there." He hold the front door open, arm held out to us.

Avi's eyes light up and she almost runs to him, but she is stopped in her tracks when I say, "That's okay, we'll stay out here." She turns back to me, clearly disappointed.

"Well, at the very least, get out of the wind. The barn is warm, and the hay loft is clean, but it smells like crap." Reyes sighs.

He's so suspicious. Why would he let two strangers stay at his house? I don't like the way he looks at Avi. She has already gone in the barn. My back ached from the weight of my bag. I gingerly lift it off and lean it against the side of the barn. "Looks heavy,"Reyes voice startles me. "What's in it?"

I don't even stop to think, I am so ready to get off my feet. "You know, food and medicine and---" I've said too much. "Other stuff."

He looks at me for a minute and then yawns. "Well, I'm going to hit the sack. See you in the morning."

I stumble into the barn, exhausted. I plop down next to Avi. I haven't even taken off my shoes when I drift off.