Chapter 38

Chapter 38: Marlowe

I am sitting in a musty room. It's cool inside. The chair I am sitting in is rusty.

My side still aches. I take shallow breaths so my rib cage doesn't work harder than it has to.

The southern guy walks in, and slides a chair in front of me, straddling it from the front so he rests his arms on the back of the chair.

"My, my. You do look lovely." He purrs.

I glare at him. I can taste blood at the corner of my mouth where the young one struck me.

"Are you giving me the silent treatment? Well now, miss. That's not gonna work here." He suddenly stands from his chair and puts his thumb under my chin. He puts his face close to mine. I can't take it any longer, and I quickly turn my head and bite his finger. It cracks under the pressure of my teeth and he cries out in surprise.

"Jay! Get in here!" He clutches his finger. Blood trickles off his hand."You little bitch." He back hands my cheek. It is swollen in seconds.

The dirty bearded man walks in.

"What's the problem, boss?"

"She bit me!" Southern guy spits at me.

"Feisty one we have here." Jay replies nonchalantly. He picks at his fingernails.

"Just... Find out what we need to know and finish her!" He is steaming. He storms out of the room.

"Alright, little miss. What. Are. The. Coordinates." Jay walks toward me slowly.

I say nothing. He strikes the same cheek Southern guy did. It hurts worse this time.

He smiles. "Coordinates?"

Nothing again. He grabs my face, keeping care to hold my jaw shut. "You're pretty. We wouldn't want to ruin a face like yours, now would we?"

"I don't know." Tears run down my face. I'm scared now.

"Well..." He pauses. "Maybe you should sleep on it. I always remember things I've forgotten if I take a short nap."

"What?" I croak. "I'm not sleeping."

"Well, this might do the trick."

He brings his arm back and abruptly swings his closed fist under my jaw.

Black.