Chapter 34

Chapter 34: Avi

There are at least seven men, and probably more outside. I struggle against the one burly man that holds me captive and I am able to get away. Toni and Easton are fighting two each, but the men are twice their size. The odds don't look too good for them.

I turn and kick one in the face, my favorite move Reyes taught me. I catch the man's neck, not expecting him to be so tall. He stumbles back and hits the wall, his head making a hard crack at the contact.

I hear Marlowe scream and I snap towards her, fearing the worst. A short, lean guy is pulling her towards the exit by her hair. Easton and I move towards her, but I am intercepted by a fast-flying figure. It blocks my path to save my friend so I face it instead of running from it.

Only it's not an it...It's a him.

The guy that from the ambulance, the one that had spotted me, to be exact.

I hold up my hands in a defensive position, ready for an attack and ready to attack. He did the same, lifting his tan arms under his eyes. Which I can't help but notice are a beautiful hazel brown, but most of the shade is golden.

His brown hair sticks up in a messy way, a look that made me swoon a little. I used to see a lot of guys my age wear this look before the collapse, but it wasn't a natural look like his is.

My eyes traveled down to the shirt he was wearing, a black muscle-tee with the words, "I woke up like this," written in white. The letters are a bit faded, but still able to read clearly.

Of course I roll my eyes when I do read it, giving him a grand opportunity to make his move. He kicks at my stomach and I am unable to dodge it in time. His foot lands on my gut pretty hard, causing to double over in pain.

He races towards me, grabbing my arm and pulling around my back. I am forced to stand and he tugs on my arm to put more pressure on it. I look over and see Toni and Easton held at gun point. A shot is fired...

...right into Toni's heart.