Chapter 19

Chapter 19: Avi

I take a quick glance at the many zekes who are just yards away.

I crouch low and scout the perimeter of the building, but halt when I kick an empty can. With each scratching noise it makes, I flinch then turn towards the horde. I squeak like a mouse when their viscous eyes meet mine.

I've never looked death in the eyes, but now I have.

I hear Marlowe's screams, shouting instructions at me but I block most of it out. I run right under the escape ladder of the apartment building and jump to try and reach it. My fingertips graze the bottom rung and I try again. I miss by a few inches and I start to panic when the first of the infected turns the corner. I kick it in the chest, making it ram into what used to be a woman. They both tumble to the ground and I try one last time for the ladder.

Then time slows.

The moans get louder...The ladder seems farther...I feel shorter...

Arms grab at my my feet but they somehow push me up and I reach the ladder. I feel nails clawing at my pants, ripping the cloth.

"You fuckers! I just got these jeans!" I growl at them, not really expecting them to answer.

I use my arms to pull me up to the next rung, but I slip, hanging on with one hand. My eyes waterwiith frustration but I try again, swinging my body so I can grab onto the ladder and use my arms to lift myself up. My legs kick trying to help use momentum and I climb up, making it easier when I am actually able to to use my legs ascend the ladder.

When I stand up on the top, I gaze down at the growling bodies underneath me. I cannot help but smile and raise my arms up in victory.

"Yeah, you dickheads! I fricking live!" I laugh and hear heavy pounding above my head. My head shoots up and I spot Marlowe running down the metal stairways to get to me.

She runs into my arms and we laugh and cry and laugh again.

"I thought I was going to lose you!"

"I thought I was a goner for sure!"

We scream in victory as we ascend the stairs to get back to the roof. We sit on the side of the building with our legs hanging off the side. We giggle at the moaning bodies beneath us that are trying desperately to climb up the walls to get to us.

"Oh! I got you something!" I forgot I had the two packs on my shoulders. Maybe that was why it was difficult to climb the ladder...

I hand Marlowe the one filled her clothes, shoes, feminine products, and girl stuff we just needed. She sorts through the bag, pulling the items out and smiles gleefully.

"Oh, my god! Do I really look that bad?" She says as she looks into the mirror. I chuckle at her silliness then she glances at the clothing. "You got me clothes? Clean clothes?"