Chapter 16

Chapter 16: Marlowe

I sit in between Reyes and Avi in the ancient pickup truck. Avi has the window rolled down, and holds her hand out of it, half smiling in pride. I wish she were more serious.

"Don't make me regret helping you convince him." I warn her.

She rolls her eyes and replies, "Reyes is with us, he'll keep us safe."

There is a clap of thunder off in the distance, and she turns her back and lays her arm on the window, completely relaxed. I look into the sky, and watch the clouds darken.

My legs are beginning to ache from the hours we have spent on the hard pickup seats when I first see the city skyline. The skyline itself is beautiful. It reminds me how great of a country we once were. The towering buildings stand tall, and proud, and seem to call us to them with their stark contrast to the surrounding flat area.

But when we enter the city, I am reminded of the ugliness of it all. The once beautiful, glass paned buildings are now only skeletons, eaten away by rust. Nature has reclaimed much of the city, covering it in parasitic vines. Several of the streets have been flooded, hiding cars parked on the side of the street from view, only revealing the windows, glazed over with algae. There is another clap of thunder.

Then it begins to rain, slowly, then it all comes down at once, as if the sky was crying in sympathy for what had been done to us. Lighting strikes just outside the city, but I only see it for a moment because a building blocks my view.

We pull into the parking lot outside a large building. The once brightly lit, large sign is now indistinguishable, covered in vines and moss. Glass

We park the truck in what used to be a parking garage; several parking lots stacked on top of another. Reyes leads us up to the top level, no longer talking and only signaling us with hand motions. He stops on the second level, and looks around.

He stops when he sees an abandoned white pickup truck in the corner, and jogs over to it. He lifts a long, but thin wooden board out and motions for us to continue up the stairs. When we reach the roof, he walks straight to the edge, and lays the wooden board across. It barely covers the distance, and is at a steep angle to allow us to get to the slightly taller building. He walks across very steadily, and holds his arm out to us when he reaches the other side.

I've never seen him so serious before.

Avi goes first, and walks very slowly across. By the end she is practically crawling, and takes tiny steps. I look down before I step on the board. The alley below is piled with trash, and a plastic bag glides gracefully through until it is caught on a rusty emergency ladder.

I take a deep breath and walk across quickly, forcing myself not to look down. The board bends under my weight, although it hadn't when Avi had crossed. It wobbles every step I take, and I am relieved when I finally hop off onto the hard concrete roof. I can see over the mall now, and all the destruction in the streets. I look away and watch Reyes as he pulls out the sniper rifle and motions for me to set it up.

I am usually faster, but my hands are cold and wet from the rain and it takes my longer. I wipe my clammy hands on my pants and lay down next to the rifle and look through the scope, making sure it is aimed towards the entrance of the building.

Reyes leans in very close to me and whispers,"Remember, you're the last line of defense, baby doll. If anything gets in, you can't help us anymore." He pulls my wind breaker's hood over my head and puts his hand under my chin, forcing me to look at him. "I know you can do this." He tosses the handheld transmitter to me. "You know what to do."

I nod. He grabs Avi by the elbow and they run to the roof exit and down the stairs. Soon I see them cross the street, and I look at them through the scope. They both turn back to look at me, and Reyes tips his baseball cap to me.

He grins, then they enter the dark building.

I watch them all the way into the building, then stand up, and look up and down the road that passes by the mall. Nothing.

I walk to the gap between the buildings and prop my leg up on the board. I lose my balance and accidentally push the board into the alley. It clatters below, hitting every possible obstacle on the way down.

I flinch when I hear several moans in the street below.

They're too stupid to find the entrance, I tell myself. They won't get me. I take a deep breath.

I look over the edge, taking care not to let the infected see me. There are more than I expected, maybe fifteen to twenty. I don't look over long.

I watch through my scope as they shuffle onto the street. I lay down by the rifle, and settle in next to it. I look through the scope. The first walks with an exaggerated limp.

I take a breath and fire.

I miss, and the bullet hits the concrete. I wince.

The infected look around, but when they see nothing, they continue shuffling along. I lean back, then look through the scope again. I aim at a different one this time, and fire. It drops to the ground. Before the others can react, I hit them, dead on.

There is only one left. She wanders in my general direction, confused. I hit her in the lower body, and she doesn't react, and continues shuffling my way. I hit her in the head this time, and she drops.

Adrenaline pumps through my veins and I rest my head on my arms, relieved.

Reyes would be proud.