Chapter 33

Chapter 33: Marlowe

I see everyone sprint outside.

Images flash before my eyes.

Avi run-limping out of the building, blood splattered on her face. Toni running after her.

No Jon.

No Easton.

I quickly disassemble my rifle, and put it in its bag. I sling it over my shoulder.

I almost forget she is there when Nikki asks plaintively, "Where's daddy?"

"Um, I don't know. We are going to go find him, okay?" She nods. "Climb on my back?"

She smiles , and I hoist her onto my back. She holds on tightly, over the rifle bag.

I climb down slowly, as not to shake her off. I hastily jog down the stairs, not bothering to check for the infected.

I jog across the street, pistol armed. I jog to where Avi is laying down. Toni leans over her, and kisses her. He mutters something.

"Not the time, pal." I say the last part sarcastically, to get my point across. He gets up quickly, blushing. "Avi?" I set Nikki down.

Avi surprises me when she glares at me.

She's mad because I messed up her romantic moment?

I turn around to see Easton. He's not there.

"Easton?" I look for him behind them.

There isn't anyone there, and I there is silence inside.

My heart sinks.

"Easton!" I shout.

I sprint into the the apartment building and up the stairs. Candlelight flickers.

That's when I see them. The old man and Jon. They both lay on the ground. Their heads are bashed in, and there is a significant amount of blood all over the ground. I am horrified for a moment, but then remember why I am there.

Easton.

"Easton!"

I hear staggered breathing. Frightened, I sprint around the hallway corner blindly.

I run straight into a tall figure, and step back, expecting the end.

"Are you okay?!" Easton asks breathlessly. He hold my shoulders with his huge hands.

"I saw Jon and..." I can't talk. I feel so guilty. "I'm sorry I made you go, I.."

"Shh...." He brings me close to him. "None of that was you." He says into my hair.

Staggered breathing.

A slow moving biter rounds the corner. Easton puts his knife through the middle of its forehead easily.

We hold each other in silence, until my walkie talkie suddenly crackles.

"Attention, survivors. Attention survivors. The CDC has discovered a cure for Virus X." Easton and I look at each other, and their is white noise mixed with words.

"Where's the other one?" I almost demand.

"Gave it to Toni." He answers. More white noise and faint words.

"The cure will be available at the following secure locations. 39.792 north, 10---" The radio is cut off by the steady beeping of the walkie talkie. Low battery.

"Seriously? No no no!" I press the 'ok' button repeatedly.

We run down the apartment stairs then outside.