Chapter 13

Chapter 13: Avi

The beds Reyes provides for makes me feel like I'm in a wonderful fantasy, where the world isn't so bad.

Ever since the outbreak, eight months ago, I haven't been able to get a good, nights rest, one that isn't filled with horrendous nightmares that keep me up or make me wake up screaming bloody mary.

The hay in the barn was the closest thing to a decent bed until now; his beds are like clouds with Egyptian clothe as sheets. The pillows aren't flat like that one bread I'd always order at that one sandwich place; I've long forgotten the name.

Over the past few weeks, I work just as hard as Marlowe does on Reyes's farm, working harder with every job he gives us.

I watch he gets into the rusty truck of his that he calls Luther. My mouth waters with the thought of going out on a run for supplies. For some , he has refused to let us go on runs with him, always saying we are to remain at farm. My hands ache to kill another infected, as if there death gives me energy.

Then I think of how satanic that thought sounds.

Marlowe is right to think the infected are people. I halt what I'm doing, my hands still clinging onto the weed that I am holding.

"Should we be killing those things? What if this is just like the cold, and they just need to wait it out? We're killing people for no reason." I wipe the sweat that is starting to form on my forehead.

I jump when I hear Reyes speak. "This disease that they have is not like the cold, Avigail. Right now, it's kill or be killed. We 're fighting for our right to survive, just like they are doing. It's just in a more morbid way." He sighs, then places an arm around me. "At the moment, the infected are on the offensive side, and we're, unfortunately, are defending.

I step away from his fatherly embrace. "This is not a game, Reyes. If there is a sickness going around, there must be a cure."

"Hon, if there was a cure, we would have been given it by now." His eyes glaze over with a sadness. We stand there for a few moments, me watching him as he gazes off, entranced in his own world, before he clears his throat loudly. "These weeds aren't going to move themselves. Better get back to work so when I get back, we can dine on a warm meal."

"Where are you going?" I can't help but pry. "We have pigs and cattle and I spotted a chicken in the corn stalks. We can have grilled chicken, and peaches for dessert."

"I'm going on a run for some med supplies...and some weapons." He says after a lingering hesitant moment, as if he was afraid of the idea. "I'm going to train you girls how to really fight for yourselves. I may not be here one day when a horde of those things come by and attack. I want you to be fully prepared."

My excitement boils over and I jump into his arms. He is surprised for a moment before he tightened his arms around me, pressing his chin on my head gently.

"I'll be back before dinner time." He lets me go, the corner of his lips turned up ever so slightly. "If you get hungry, there's some snacks in the pantry. Try not to eat it all."

I punch his arm lightly, a smile gracing my lips. "Don't wet yourself, old man. We're growing teenagers, so we need food." I look up t him, something stirring inside of me. Hope? Warmth? Delight?

Whatever it is, I am beginning to like it.