Chapter 20

Chapter 20:Marlowe

I carefully unfold the clothes she has gotten me and run my fingers over them. There are light olive, cargo pants, although unlike the regular kind they are tighter, and look more flattering. There is also a thin maroon t shirt, and worn looking brown boots, although they still have a tag on them.

I pull the clothes on and put Reyes's wind breaker over it, the one with the hood he lovingly put over my head this morning.

"Thanks," I hug Avi, "really."

"Not a problem." She smiles.

I notice another bag near the area we were just sitting at. "What's this?" I ask.

"Ammo!" She beams proudly.

I look through the bag, but I sigh when I realize her mistake.

"What? What is it?" She asks, more disappointed than myself.

"Avi, these are mostly shot gun pellets. There are a couple boxes that are for pistols, but I can't use most of this. I need rifle bullets." I answer.

She lets out an exasperated moan.

I wave off her moan, and assure her."That's okay, that's alright. We're still here, right? How about we get a little more food for the farm, and then---"

"No, no, what about Reyes?" She interrupts.

"What? No Reyes is long gone! Did you see those guys? They were huge! Besides, Reyes said to go back to the farm, not to follow him." I argue.

"We. Can. Not. Leave. Him." Avi says through her teeth.

"Reyes said---"

"No! If I were taken, you wouldn't just leave me, right?!" She defends, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Well, no, but that's different." I counter, my argument growing weaker.

"How?" She croaks. "He's our family, too."

"Fine, fine!" I break. "We'll look for him. But there is no guarantee we'll find him. Actually, the odds are not in his favor. But first, we need the right type of ammo. And supplies." I hiss.

She looks hurt, but replies."Sure. What's the plan?"

"Alright, I'm going to the top level, where I'll get the bullets I need, and maybe some arrows." I make a messy map of the mall with boxes of bullets and cans. You'll look for food and water on the bottom level, and we'll meet back here," I tap the roof of my homemade mall, "and stay there for the night, so the infected can die down a little before we try to take off in the morning."

She looks intently at my drawing, but then questions, "How are we supposed to get across the street?"

"We'll leave from different exits. I will cross first, but I will leave from the parking garage, here." I draw another square across from my mall. "You will leave second, from the west emergency ladder on this building. We will both make for the main entrance."

"Well what's the point of splitting up, then?" She asks.

"Good question. If we draw them in from different directions, it should buy us time to shut the gate." I explain.

"What gate?"

"The metal one they used to pull them down, like a garage door, when the mall was closed." I tell her.

"Right." She mutters. "I will go down the ladder when I see you halfway across the street. But wait... how will you get to the parking garage?"

"I guess I'll jump." I say, adrenaline pumping through my veins."See you at dinner."

I back to the far edge of the building, and sprint to the edge, launching myself over the alley.