Chapter 26

Chapter 26: Avi

"I'll take first watch." I mutter, wanting to think.

"I have first watch.' Jon says, but without enthusiasm. His eyes are glazed over with this deep sadness that can only be cured with time.

"You can have mine." I whisper hoarsely, and can see him become instantly relieved and his smiled gratefully.

"Okay, that's what I'll do..." He trails off and lays down beside his daughter.

I watch Marlowe and Easton, my lips turning up slightly when I see how relaxed she is around him. Maybe he is good for her.

I push past Toni and walk a bit so that I am far enough away from the sleeping group and still able to hear anything or see anything off.

I sit down and think about Marlowe's nightmare. Why is she all if a sudden having them? Will she talk to me about them when she has them?

I groan and put my hands in my face, rubbing my eyes and trying to rid myself of stress.

I jump when someone clears his throat then look up to see who it was.

I groan again. "Don't you ever go to sleep?"

"I wanted you to know that I'm sorry I kissed you. You're just really beautiful and it was a heat of the moment thing. I don't want you to think I just throw myself at girls and expect them to respond." Toni mutters, looking me in the eyes like a gentleman. He rubs his neck then sits beside me.

"It kinda seemed like it." I cross my arms over my chest and look straight forward.

"Like I said, it was the heat of the moment kind of thing. I'm sorry I kissed you when you don't need the stress. It was a jerk move."

I don't say anything for a moment before smiling innocently. "You think I'm beautiful?"

He grins, a small turn of the lips that makes my stomach flutter. "No..."

I laugh when he copies me and I shoved him lightly. He laughs and pushes me back.

That's when we hear metal breaking and the screams of the infected.