Chapter 37

Chapter 37: Avi

The boy stays behind while the man, the one that shit the bullet that killed Toni only hours ago, leaves these women and girl behind.

We stare at each other, not one making g a sound. I can barely breathe as it is.

Nikki's tiny hand is still clinging onto mine. I hold on tightly, yet gently, hoping to give her some strength.

I am surprised when the boy asks softly, "Are you hungry?"

My mouths hangs open in shock and I don't know what to say. I glance at Nikki, and when she nods, I say, "A little."

I don't even know if we should be eating their food. They could have put something into it that makes us weaker.

But, at the moment, I don't care because Nikki is all that matters right now. If she's hungry, I'll feed her.

The boy nods and walks away to come back with a few packets of something in one hand and soda cans in the other.

He hands me one of each and Nikki as well. I read the can label...Coke?

"The soda is kind of old, but it's still good." He sits down in front of my cage and smiles. "I didn't catch your name..."

"Avi..." I say quietly, thinking it best to stay on his good side. I don't bother with Nikki's though because I want his attention from her.

"I'm Aiden." His name is weird, not like the regular names that are spelled the same way. It sounds like "eye-dun."

"What do you want?" I question, narrowing my eyes slightly.

Aiden holds up his hands in mock surrender. "I'm just trying to get to know you."

He smiles then, showing his awfully white teeth. For some reason, the smile reminds me of the way Toni smiled. I can see Toni in Aiden, although they look nothing alike.

"How old are you?" He asks in a way that I know is him trying to be friendly.

The only question I have is why?

"I'm sixteen. But in s few months, I'll be seventeen." I answer truthfully. In two months, I will have survived this world for over three years.

"Really?" His eyes sparkle as if my answer intrigued him. "I'm only eighteen."

I smile stiffly, getting off my annoyed with him being here and talking to me. He goes off on his little question spree.

Where were you born? Did I have any family? What is my favorite animal? What is my favorite color? What do I fear? What makes me happy? Where would I like to travel someday?

And of course I have to answer, but I try to make it obvious that I don't want him anywhere near me.

I am saved by a man. "Silva wants you to come and help with the girl."

My ears perk up when he says this. Marlowe's alive?

I grab onto the bars of my cage and look at the exchange between the two.

Aiden looks back at me before following the man out of the room. I take a quick peak outside as the door shuts.

It looks like we're in the city still, but somewhere downtown.

I sit down and squeak when something pokes my butt. I reach into my pocket and pull out a walkie-talkie.

I smile happily.

Those guys are stupid I think as I press the on button.

If there is someone out there that can hear me, hopefully they'll help us.