Chapter 32

Chapter 32: Avi

"A few weeks?" I demand incredulously. "The zombie apocalypse doesn't wait for a giving sprained ankle that take a few weeks to heal."

If there's ever a massive horde, I'm the first to because because I can't fricking walk.

I'm on the operating table, the one Doc had examined me, watching as Toni and Easton stand against the door.

"Would I be able to walk and run on it?" I ask the doctor. He is an old man that has greying hair and aging eyes. He treads around the tiny room slowly as if the weight of the world rests on his shoulders.

"Yes, but you may have a slight limp. And use the crutches when you can so you don't irritate your ankle too much. If you need to run, run." His voice is raspy, as if if it is hard for him to talk and he has to force the words out of his mouth.

"Why are you here alone?" Toni questions, his his darting around.

The doctor's eyes turn sad, a frown appearing as he says, "I wasn't for a long while. Someone had gotten bit and attacked some of the others. I am the only surviver."

We all turn to the door when someone (or something) pounds on it.

"Is everyone okay? There's no more biters out here so it's all good." Jon's voice is muffled from the outside making it hard to really hear him.

Easton opens the door to let Jon in. We make room as he enters so there's space for everyone to fit.

"How many were there...ten?" I ask, thankful that we made it in time.

"Give or take, but hen a few more came to make about fifteen or so." Jon turns to look at the doctor.

"Everyone's alright? No bites or scratches or broken ankles." He winks at me when his says the last part and I snicker.

For some reason the doctor hesitates before nodding his head. "Besides a slightly sprained ankle, everything's fine."

"I wouldn't say everything's fine...We're still stuck with all these biters." Toni sneers. I look at him like he's crazy because, at the moment, he is.

"I'm sorry about her, sonny. She was one of the first to turn." The doctor says with a slight bit of remorse.

My stomach churns with jealousy, even though I didn't want it to. Who was she? Toni's girlfriend?

Toni nods gravely and stares out the tiny window that's on the other side of the room. I look at him, hoping he will give me any sign to what he is thinking. Who was that girl? Just tell me, please.

My eyes snap to the doctor when he starts coughing loudly. He holds his stomach with both arms and that's when I see it, the bite mark.

That's why he hesitated when Jon asked if anyone was bitten...The doctor is bitten and he didn't tell anyone.

I move to push Jon away, but the doctor falls onto the floor, instantly becoming a zeke.

"Jin! Move!" I scream, but the doctor grasps his arm, and with a frightening howl, bites a huge part of the skin off, revealing blood and gore.

I push Jon away and punch the doctor in the stomach, forcing everything in his mouth to spit onto me. I shiver in disgust and hold him back, trying to let everyone else escape.

I am surprised when the doctors head explodes and the blood getting everywhere...especially my eyes and mouth.

I cry out and race outside, putting as Mich distance between me and the group as I can. I hear Toni and even Marlowe shouting my name, begging me to come back, but I continue on until my legs turn to mush.

I fall onto the ground and grasp my knife, pointing it towards my heart.

Ten seconds is all it takes...And I'm part of the fricking undead.

I count slowly and breathe a sigh of relief when nothing happens. My shoulders shake with happiness. I have a second chance.

A hand grabs my shoulder and turns my around sharply. I face Toni's furious face, his eyes t selves boiling with rage. He hoists me up like I way nothing, his face turning an upsetting shade of purple.

"What the fuck, Avi! Why the fuck did you just run away?" He demands, raising his eye brow up in question.

"I got blood in my mouth...and in my eyes" I sob and fall into his arms. He makes a surprise sound but encircles me with his warm embrace.

"I'm so sorry, Avi. I was the one to shoot the doctor. God, I'm so stupid."

I cry harder for no reason, just to get everything out. Then he land down and kisses me with everything he has.

"There...Now if you get infected, so will I."