Chapter 12

Chapter 12: Avi

Some of the infected have managed to pin down one of the largest pigs. They've ripped a gaping hole in his belly and have began pulling out strings of intestines. Even in this state, he lives, thrashing back and forth. Marlowe steps back in disgust. One hears us and staggers toward us. I start to turn to run when I see Reyes, shoving one and swearing angrily at it.

Does he know he can't let it bite him?

There are four of them, one coming towards me, one after Reyes and the other two eating the pig.

I don't know what to do. If I try to help Reyes, the one coming my way will get Marlowe and I. If I get rid of the one coming towards us, Reyes is done for sure.

Then, I realize, I'm still holding spade. Without thinking, I grab it by the light end and throw it at the one going towards Reyes. The blade pierces it's skull, and dark, syrupy blood runs down the handle. It collapses on the ground and Reyes stares at me incredulously.

Excitement surges through my body and I'm proud of myself for a split second.

I shudder when I remember the argument I had with Marlowe this morning.

They're just poor, infected, people.

Soon, the other is closing in on me. I don't have anything have any other ideas. I panic and back into the side of the barn.

"Avi! Duck!"

I whip my head around and then obey. Reyes charges at the one in front of me with a rake. The tips pierce it's neck. It's severed head drops to the ground next to me, still snapping and eyeing me hungrily.

I scramble to my feet and look around for more of the infected. Reyes snatches his shot gun off the porch and gets the other two in the pen. The remaining pigs squeal in horror. Reyes and Marlowe drag the disease ridden bodies and the pig carcass out of the pen, and latch it tightly.

I lean against the barn and slide to the ground, holding my head.

Marlowe immediately runs to my side. "What's wrong? Did it bite you?"

"No... No I'm ok... I just... I killed that man..." I sob.

Reyes, behind Marlowe, is bent over. He walks closer to me and holds out his hand. I take it, as I try to recover.

With surprising strength, he pulls me close to him and he hugs me. I bury my face in his shirt as he says lowly, "That thing wasn't a man. Whoever that was.... Died a long time ago." After a pause, he chuckles, and turns to Marlowe. I can hear the vibrations in his chest. "Your friend has got you beat, I think. If that's not a zombie, I don't know what is.