The Unknown

A shadow stood in the corner of your room, two glowing eyes stared into your soul, freezing you to the spot. "Who are you?" you whisper as you drop your weapon of choice and stare with fear. 

Nothing was said in response and the beady red eyes of the Devil left you awe-struck. Who knew such a thing could belong on this planet? You took a steady step in reverse to not startle the unknown presence of negativity. If only you were back at home. By now your mother would've called you down for dinner which gave you a reason to run but not this time. This time you're on your own, fighting this battle of emotions. Should you be brave and walk over or leave and find help? You decide to swallow all your thoughts and puff out your chest as you take slow steps into the darkest corner of your chamber. Mellow growls and grumbles emit from the corner which unsettle you. "Hello, i am (y/n)..." you stutter as you anxiously reach out your hand to greet the being. 

But you jump back when the eyes move to a higher angle, it looks like they were going to fly through your roof! You watch the height of the creature increase until everything goes silent again. "Hello?" you ask as you tilt your head slightly. Surprisingly the creature does the same. You wink. So does the creature. This makes you giggle and feel more comfortable though the feeling doesn't last long the creature feels startled by a knock on the door. It shrieked and disappeared into the darkness once again.

With uneven breaths, you get to the door quickly just to be told that you have mail. Of course your daily chores got in the way of you making your life somehow much more interesting... To no longer be a sheep. But this was no ordinary mail. It was from your mother:

Dear (y/n),

I am writing to inform you that you are invited to my baby shower! You have a little baby sister on the way and i want you to be prepared for her. 

Love from Mum.

Why would she contact you after all this time? Why is she bringing in a new sibling when she couldn't even take care of her other three? Why?! You wish you had never got the letter from her; she didn't even ask if you were okay! An hour later, you light a fire in your garden and decide to burn the letter along with some papers you wrote your thoughts on. You don't know what got over you, acting so harshly against your mother and burning things in your garden. Luckily you lived in a quiet, ragged area so fires were normal. 

It is now one in the morning, as you still sat in your garden with your knees squeezed to your chest. The outburst of emotions worried you and made you consider all of the possibilities that may have caused this mystery though nothing came to mind. The sky illuminates the terrains, highlighting the shapes of the countless trees and adds shimmers of light in the pond that lays beyond the hills. As you're outside already and restless, you go and wander into the horizon and walk along the pond shore. The sounds of the tiny waves relax your mind and makes you feel at ease; there were no birds therefore making it silent. No grasshopper sang it's tune and no child shared their happiness. Silence.

But the feeling of being someone's prey attacked your mind and made you feel distraught. What is this feeling? You look into the distance where the woods were. A group of trees, bushes and wildlife seemed to be the source of this feeling. You wanted to investigate but knew it was already too late and you had work tomorrow. Good old work.