Chapter 14: Sage

▼o・ェ・o▼ WOOF

"Hmm, I see. I did look into the incident before I was hired, but to think that it went this far," I said while I looked through the files Blake had brought in yesterday. If they had informed me I wouldn't have had to waste time rescheduling James day for another meeting. I sighed closing the folder. I didn't need this right now, I had a fundraiser to finish planning.

"What legal actions will you be taking against the perpetrators?" I asked.

"For now, we will investigate more into who they are," Blake said. "Perez and Teach the ones James left in charge were just a front. And the name they gave up during our investigation was just another lie. Page five, Cal Kimberk is just some New Zealand University professor and from what we found not a mastermind capable of stealing millions from us."

"Hmm, I see. I've never heard of Azure Adversitment before," I said looking at the rest of the pages. "The ones you left in charge never mentioned them?"

James leaned back in his chair, exasperated by the whole thing. "No, they didn't. But I'll be questioning them about it." That piqued my interest, but I didn't question him about it. I had more things to worry about, and I'd simply find out about it later.

Cal Kimbark though...

"Alright. I'll see what I can find out about the matter," I said. If I had been told sooner that it was still an ongoing case, I would have dealt with the issue weeks ago. I sighed and rubbed my forehead. Why do people just keep making my job harder?

"Are you okay Sage?" James asked.

I smiled. "Yes. Now you have a meeting with Director Liu Delan at five. This meeting is to be finished in the next twenty minutes so you can be on your way. I won't be going with you because I have plans to finalized for this Saturday." I looked through today's schedule on my tablet. "At three you will be back to have a meeting about the next installment, I made a list on who should lead and oversee the project," I said handing him a file. "At five you have a general meeting with the rest of your employee, and after that, you have the rest of the day to yourself."

I walked out after he nodded that he understood and sat at my desk. Opening up my email, I responded to a few and arranged James schedule with meetings and interviews with some media outlet and new workers. I rested my chin on my hand.

"Hmm if I finished this in the next couple hours I could go home with James and make dinner for him and Kyle." I hung my head. If my father could see me now, he'd show his obvious disappointment. Never leave work for later, finish it to get onto the next one. 

I'd been getting too comfortable with this new lifestyle. It wasn't a bad thing, but as a Tivnan living, a comfortable life just wasn't in the job description. There was no doubt my father knew of this change in my life. He was aware of everything in my life whether I wanted it that way or not. His presence was a constant reminder that I might be working for James, someone he never had on his list for me to work for but that if he said the word, I'd have no choice but to quit.

One screw up and I was on to my next employer.

One step closer to being with whoever Emerson chose as his successor.

I didn't mind leaving to work for the next successor of the AML leader because it was literally what I was raised for. I'd still be with James, and nothing my father could do would change that. At least I hoped. It'd be a fight I wouldn't back out of though. But if Gavin did end up succeeding his father there was no chance he wouldn't be found dead in his office chair, his throat split open.