Chapter 18: Sage

▼o・ェ・o▼ WOOF

My knuckles stung. It was a feeling I had forgotten and one that I would never admit I missed. I stared down at the man as he bled from his mouth. This man was the cause behind Kyles attacks. This intense feeling inside me built up all over again, and it turned into this need to kill him. Unfortunately for him, he had information, and I was going to torture it out of him. 

Derrick Flores. 

He was ragged, dark deep circles under his eyes. The hoodie he wore couldn't hide how sickly thin he was. And I was positive that I'd find new needle marks on his arm if I pulled his sleeves up. Whoever was using him was easily manipulating Derrick through drugs and revenge.

At this point, Derrick was nothing more than the pathetic version of the successful and loved man he once was. And after what he had put Kyle through, I was going to make sure Derrick never would again. My father always said to rid yourself of any problems, no matter the means. I had allowed Derrick to live after knowing how much he had hurt Kyle, and now I was ripping the consequences of my mistakes. 

I motioned for the two men I brought with me to take him. Taking out a handkerchief, I was wrapping my right hand when I felt arms wrap around me from behind. I relaxed into James' chest with a sigh. His warmth was a welcome feeling to the empty, cold feeling that had started to run through my body. 

I hadn't wanted him to see like this. See how far I was willing to go to get a job done. But I realized, if we wanted to work I had to stop holding the truth from him as well. I had told him a bit about what my father had made me endure but seeing was different. Letting my training slip by me and seeing me unhinged as I beat Derrick senseless would be nothing compared to what he would see later. 

He would see my fathers training in action once I'd start to interrogate Derrick once he was at the warehouse I ordered him to be taken too. But it was a good idea to get this out of the way that way I could stop overthinking the matter over. 

"I'm not going anywhere."

I turned around and buried my face in his chest. "I know."

"Sage, I don't understand why you think I'm going to get scared after I've shown you what I am." I opened my mouth to respond, but his next words left me confused. "Besides its not a surprise, you're father has put a lot of shifters in their place."

"What do you mean?" He tensed up. "James?"

"I'm sorry, that was an unnecessary comment."

I shook my head, pulling away. "James, tell me." 

"I...It's not my place."

"What can you tell me."

He opened and closed his mouth several times.

I sighed. "I'm sorry, I don't mean to force you."

"I would tell you, but it's more than you and me. I can't put my clan in danger any more than I already have with what I've said."

I nodded. We walked out of the building Joe had tracked Derrick too. It wasn't a luscious hotel, but considering Derrick had no money it might as well be. Though Joe or Shane had yet to find me who paid for it. 

Until that was figured out, I had yet another thing to think about apparently. I was confused by how my father could be involved with James's world. One thing I was sure about though. All the training I had been put through made sense. There was danger in the world I needed to prepare myself. It was what my father always drilled into my head as I was beaten and trained through all my adolescent years.