1-The Release

"Nova Lace García when will you listen to me?"
Luis said looking into my soul.

"Honestly Luis I do, I really don't know what you're talking about," Replying with a straight face sitting on the worn out counter in my apartment.

"Nova you need to straighten your act up, I won't always be here for you when these situations happen." He said crossing his arms

"What did I do? I don't know what you're talking about," I replied crossing my arms at him.

"I just had to pick you up from the woods behind the school for smoking pot." He said slightly raising his voice."You know what they call a gay drive by?" I ask smirking

"NOVA, focus this is not a game." He yells.

"... a fruit roll up." I start laughing then slap my knee. I guess my afternoon high hasn't worn off yet.

"Okay then... not funny," My lips pull back into my mouth as the awkward tension fill the room."You smell like marijuana." He says biting the inside of his cheek.

I just roll my eyes and avoid eye contact.

"Nova when will you learn that I love and care about you and these things you're getting into are stupid and they are ruining you." He said then placing his hand on his forehead.

"Why can't you just be like a normal girl invite your friends over and paint your nails," Luis says sighing.

"Sorry I don't fit into your perfect world." the words leave my lips as I slightly shrug.

"I just picked you up from a group of junkies and I pick you up from parties every week, you are killing yourself Nova, think about how you mother would feel"

"Yeah well my mother is gone. This is my life and soon you're gonna learn that nothing will help me and you'll thank me for pushing you away."

"Open your eyes Nova, I'm not going anywhere. I'm here for life, even when I leave i'm with you just like your mother. Now i'm going back to work and I hope that instead of going out tonight, you'll sit here and think about the people you are hurting and who really cares about you."

"Whatever." I pinch my arm to ignore the feelings I'm having. Trying to null the pain and fear.

"Goodbye, I love you." He says picking his jacket up running out the door.

As soon as he leaves I get up and walk over to the couch with salt and vinegar chips in my hand.

Who does he think he is? This is my life I can choose what I want to do with it.

Luis Garcia, he was one of my mom's best friends. He's my Godfather. Recently he's reconnected with me after I left my group home and moved back to my mom's hometown. 

I lost my mom when I was 13 years old. Where I grew up it wasn't irregular having shootouts and gang rivalries. My mom passed saving me from a bullet. We happened to stumble into the wrong place at the wrong time. My mother fought for 5 weeks too keep her own life but the bills were too much, so life support wasn't an option anymore. She was a real fighter.

After that,I was put in the foster care system. Eventually put in a group home due to "misbehaving". Not able to unlock what was left of my mother's money until I was emancipated or 21. Long story short I got emancipated and rented a small apartment on the south side enough to keep me going for a few months. Louis happens to be the chief of police, my record found it's way to his hands and he found his way to my doorstep.

       Louis regrets not taking me in when my mother passed, without a dad or close family I had no other choice. I don't blame him like he thinks I do, when everything went down he was going through a brutal divorce with his alcoholic ex wife and took custody over his 5 kids. He takes the blame for what happens to me in foster care and the way I turned out.