They Said I'm A Fraud

Chanel's POV

---

She walked around the classroom, delivering the report card. When she neared some of the more gifted students, she offered them a smile — You did it! You earned the grades you need. 

With others, especially the jocks and the students that hid behind the scenes, she grimaced, letting a look of disappointment pass over her face as she passed out the report cards. There were several groans, anxious tapping of feet, the occasional woo hoo!

I chewed on the end of my pencil. My leg was jumping up and down. My head was spinning. What if I'm failing? I haven't exactly had the time to worry about my grades and it wasn't like I was in need of having the best grades either since I planned on going to college. But still, the thought of her shooting me an unimpressed look was soul-crushing. The last thing I needed to do was worry over some numbers and where my future was headed. I watched my English teacher's feet move around the room, her red pumps stopping behind Sebastian's desk. He looked up from his phone and briefly glanced at her expression. She wasn't grimacing. She was in fact, grinning from ear to ear. 

"Excellent work, Mr. Lexus!" She said as she handed over his report card. I watched his eyes glance over his page, scanning his marks. With a subtle nod, he took his paper and slipped it into his backpack. He didn't seem so fazed, almost like he expected it. As the classroom filled up with more and more chatter, it seemed like I was the only person left. 

She scanned the recipient's name and her beady eyes searched for my face. When she located me, she walked toward my desk, her click clack driving me crazy. She's going to grimace, she going to glare at me. She reached my desk and I stared ahead, emotionless. I didn't want to see her face. After noticing that I wasn't going to look at her, she sighed and slid my report to me before walking away. I bit the inside of my cheeks as I cautiously moved my eyes up the page. 

67

79

88

89

I sighed, letting out a sigh of relief that I was holding inside of me. At least I wasn't failing. It wasn't the best marks I have ever gotten but it was much better than what I was expecting. I know that if I tried really hard for the remaining semester, I could lift my marks up by a couple of percentages. 

It seems like for the first time ever, there was hope in what I was going to do. 

I will work hard. 

As I went on with my self-motivational speech, the teacher cleared her throat and demanded silence. Instantly, each student stopped speaking and listened intently. 

"I am aware that most of you may be upset with your marks. Although it is only midterms right now, every grade counts. I know that I said that partner assignment was due a week before report cards but remember, I extended the due date. It is now due two weeks from today. This is your opportunity to seriously raise your marks. This is the assignment that will help you, so mark sure you do a good job. Now, turn to the book and read..." She said as we did as she instructed us. 

While the class was reading Hamlet, I looked over to Sebastian. More accurately, glanced at him. He was picking at his book, analyzing the illustrations on the side bar. 

"So I have purposed a list of readers for the characters. Jacob, you'll be Polonius... Mark, you'll be King Claudius... Sebastian, you'll be Hamlet and that leaves... Ah yes, Chanel as Ophelia." 

Fuck. My heart just dropped to the floor. 

"Now class, remember we are at Act III. This is where Claudius and Polonius have decided to use Ophelia as bait so that Polonius can prove to Claudius that Hamlet's madness is due to his frenzy love for his daughter. But remember, it is apart of Hamlet's plan to act crazy so that he can achieve his father's death by killing Claudius. Now, the legitimacy of what Hamlet says to Ophelia is up for you to decide."