His Second Part

I woke up to the sun streaming in through my hazy curtains, my room illuminated by shades of yellow and oranges. It was mornings like this that I appreciated most – Sunny, soft, and most of all, warm but not hot. The birds were chirping outside and the sky was azure, setting the tone of a great day to come.

Sometimes, I came home for the weekends. My dorm room could get lonely and ever since that incident, my parents became more protective of me and that included setting rules for how often they needed to see me.

Inching into my grey socks and ripped jeans, I pulled a white thermal long sleeve over my head and brushed out the knots in my hair. Glancing at my reflection in the mirror, I debated applying makeup to my bare face.

"Chanel!" My mother yelled from downstairs, signalling to me I needed to hurry up in order to get to school on time.

"Coming!" I replied before hastily grabbing my mascara and swiping the black brush over my lashes. From the corner of my eye, I noticed my tinted lip balm and grabbed that too, applying the sheer red over my lips.

Good.

Today wasn't any special than most of my school days but lately, I've been interested in forming new friendships. Though I've never benefited from them, clearly, I still couldn't stop myself from needing to make friends. I felt awful for Sebastian as well, who was constantly having to be my rock. Now was the time to start fresh and take control of my narrative.

Heading downstairs, I greeted my parents and poured myself a bowl of cereal. For some reason, I never had a big appetite in the morning and usually ate something just to ease my parent's worries and start my day. When I was done, I grabbed my backpack and laptop and headed out the door, knowing that I'd be meeting Sebastian at school.

Something about the soft morning breeze and the flying birds made me feel like taking the public bus today. Glancing at my phone to see if I would make it to school on time, I began making my way towards my bus stop when I noticed I had more than an hour to get to school, which was only a 15 minute drive via highway from my house. Definitely more than enough time.

At the bus stop, I noticed a girl that looked like a girl from high school. She had brown hair and tanned skin and anxiety bubbled in my stomach as I neared her. Although it was nearing the end of my first year, when meant that it was almost a year from when high school ended, I still worried about how people would react towards me.

Despite my internal pleading for her to not notice me, she looked up at me as I was walking towards the bus sign. I inwardly cursed, quickly averting my eyes to the background behind her in hopes that she might believe that I hadn't noticed her. To my despair, she continued eyeing me, never taking her eyes off me even as I began to near her.

"Chanel, right?" She asked, forcing me to look towards her and offer an awkward smile.

"Yeah," I mustered, my voice strained and clipped.

Tackling me into her embrace, she clutched my rigid frame against hers.

"I didn't realize we shared bus stops!" She exclaimed.

Although it felt rude to say so, I couldn't help but ask her who she was.

"I'm the girl that... Climbed into the hot tub with your boyfriend," She said sheepishly before continuing, "But with good intentions! I was the one that told Sebastian what was going on."

Feeling for a loss of words, I remained silent.

"What's your name?" I asked, feeling unsure of what to say.

"Harper," She responded.

Deciding that she was relatively safe for now, I continued to pry into her conscience.