:Chapter Six:

Six months later. . .

Drake's POV

  We almost got fired that day we showed up late. Almost, but it turns out, we get a freebie. What luck.

  Yesterday was our last episode for season two. Daryl and a hesitant Judi ran away to somewhere in Montana. I also discovered some exciting news.

  I'm falling for Nicki.

  I can't believe it either.

I first realized it when my thoughts kept somehow circling to her, whether I was thinking about the last Raptors game or even ice cream, somehow I would start thinking about her, her sparkling grey-green eyes or her rambunctious attitude.

  Right now, I'm at my house and trying to figure out what I feel like doing tonight. I'm free for the rest of the summer, but Nicki and Jerri plan on doing the regular and dreaded "girls only" shit.

  I decide to call Jerri. She picks up on the second ring. "MmYellow?"

   I laugh. "I love how you do that," I say. "What's up?"

   "Nothing much. Me and Nicki are at the beach. What about you?"

   "Bored as hell. You guys wanna meet up somewhere?"

   "Do I? It's hot as hell out here and the water is fuckin' freezin'. I don't know where the fuck I'm supposed to go."

I chuckle. "A'ight. So where you guys wanna go?"

  "Hmm. . . how about that one club. I feel like partying right now."

  "Sounds great. See ya there."

  "Mkay. Bye, Aubs."

  "Bye, Jerri." I hang up and go to throw some decent clothes on. I drive out to our favorite club. When I walk inside, Jerri and Nicki are waiting by the entrance, both on their phones.

   "Yo," I say.

  Jerri looks up and smiles. "Hey, Aubs!" Nicki doesn't look up. She's still a little stubborn with me because of that one night, and she still doesn't know what happened between us, but searching my memory, nothing happened. Maybe she knows something I don't. I need to ask her at some point.

  "Let's party," I say, a grin spreading across my face.

  "Sounds like a plan!" Jerri powers her phone off. Then she heads out to the colorful and crowded dance floor, flashing with each person's step. I join her and playfully grind behind her. Nicki stays there.

  A few minutes later, the bomb ass song that was on is replaced by a slow song. A few people within the crowd groan.

  "What is this, prom?" asks Jerri angrily. "Let's go out back. There's something I need to tell you."

   "Okay." I let her lead me to the emergency exit. We emerge into a dark alleyway.

  Jerri takes both of my hands in hers. My shoulders tense nervously.

  "Drake." She hardly uses my middle name to address me.

  "Hm?"

  "I already know you love Nicki."

I suck in a small breath. "Yeah."

"More than a friend."

"Yeah."

"I talked to her about it. You might not know, but she's been through a lot of rough relationships and she's not ready for a new one."

"Yeah." There's silence. I hear something clang onto the ground close by, but I dismiss the noise. Some cat must be going through garbage.