÷Chapter Seven÷

Nicki's POV

  At the hospital, I'd been watching Drake closely. I could see him struggling to stay strong, but I saw the tears spill down his cheeks without him seeming to notice.

  I just can't accept the fact that this happened. I met Jerri about two years ago. The week after I met her, and her usual self wanting to pick up the pace on a relationship, she bought me a friendship bracelet. To this day, I've never taken it off.

  Once the doctor told us the news, my heart felt like it'd been punched. I could feel the tears building up, and as one fell, I got mad at myself. Jerri just had that effect on me. She taught me in these past two years to let go of the past. I'll never let go of Jerri but I won't stay upset about it forever. I need to remember that she'd tell me to be happy. Don't let this disrupt the way my life was going.

   As for Drake, I know they've known each other for a long time. I have no idea how he's taking it. He nearly fainted when we got the news, and the doctor had to catch him to keep him from falling. But as he stared at me with a weird expression, I saw anger. Fury. The need for vengeance.

I feel him. Whoever did this to my best friend needs to pay.

A few weeks have passed. Drake and I have been doing a lot better, reminiscing about silly times we had with Jerri. I feel like there's something he's not telling me. He looks like he wants to say something.

  "There something you need to tell me?" I asked softly one day when I couldn't take it anymore. We were riding in his car.

  "Hm? Oh. Uh, no." He kept his eyes on the road and concentrated on that. I nodded, but the doubt I felt didn't lie that I knew he knew something.

  Now, we're sitting on a bench in the park by my house. There's also a beach next to it. We've been hanging out a lot more.

"Drake," I say softly. There's been something on my mind for weeks now, but my brain says, no, don't go with your heart.

  "Hm?"

  "Jerri asked me one day," I take a deep breath, "if I like you."

  He gives me a blank stare.

  "More than a friend."

  "Ah." He nods, avoiding eye contact.

  "And. . ." my heart picks up the pace. "And I do. Like you more than a, um, friend."

  Drake looks down at his hands, a growing bad habit. "Really?" he whispers.

  "Yes. I know I do, but my brain tell me that I shouldn't. I've been through too many relationships in the past."

He doesn't ask anymore about it. "And your heart says. . .?"

  "My heart tells me that we're perfect together."

He looks at me directly for the first time in weeks. There's no smile on his face, but his eyes are shining with happiness. 

  "I feel the same way." Then he leans in and kisses me passionately.

  I don't move for a minute. Half of me wants to stop him there, take back all of what I just said, and walk out of his life forever. I don't want another horrible, hellish, abusive relationship. But the other half wants to keep going, to kiss back, to enjoy it.

  So I go with the good half. I push back, gentle and aggressive at the same time. Our lips move in sync.

  Drake trails his finger up and down my thigh. I fight the urge to stop him. He uses his other hand to hold my shoulder. We pull away at the same time, breathing heavy.

  "Wow," says Drake.

  "What?"

  "That was. . ." he stops. "That was. . ."

  "Spit it out," I say playfully.

He smiles. "There're no words to describe it. 'Great' doesn't come close."

   I grin. "I'm speechless."

  "You just spoke."

  I give him a halfhearted punch in the shoulder. "Smart-ass."

  Drake chuckles and helps me stand up. "Where do you wanna go now?"

  "I don't know. Your house?"

  "Sure. Let's go." We walk to the car and drive off.

  Sorry this was so short, lol. I have no idea what else to add.

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻   Flip a table!