!Chapter Thirty-Five!

___THREE YEARS LATER___

Drake returns to the table with two trays of food.

"Yay!" Audrey claps her hands. "Time to eat!"

"Uh-huh. They took forever on this food." He rolls his eyes as he sets the trays down and slides into booth on the opposite side of Audrey and I. Audrey sits in a wooden high chair next to the table.

I give her a box of fries and start on my burger. She plucks a fry from the box and eats it, making a face.

"Eeeewww!"

"What?" Drake asks, chewing.

"These are nassstyy." She takes another one and sticks it in her mouth.

I chuckle. "Then why are you still eating them?"

"I don't know!" she giggles.

Drake and I laugh and share a look. Audrey's grown so much. As a baby, she hardly cried and was very happy. You can definitely she has most of her father's traits. Her smile, her nose, her hair that tumbles down her back in curls. Most of all, her personality. She's no regular three year old. She doesn't throw fits, she talks a lot better, she takes nothing for granted.

As for our relationship, we've had no fights. It's weird to get along so well, but we have nothing to fight about. Sure, we get annoyed at each other for a few hot seconds, but it's back to normal next time.

I'm more worried about The Group. That's what we call the guys who keep trying to kill us. They attempted one more time by trying to set our house on fire, but Drake had been getting ready to mow the lawn when he saw them and called the police. I'm not ready to go through something like that again.

Audrey smiles at me. "All done!"

I look at her then at my food. I'd only taken a couple bites and I realize I had been too deep in thought to finish. Drake takes our trays to throw them away. Then I help Audrey from her seat and we leave.

Halfway home, we heard a loud noise and the car jolts.

"Shit," Drake says, stopping the car on the side of the road empty. He gets out and cusses again. "Shit, shit, shit!"

Audrey gasps and I laugh. "What's wrong?"

"Something popped the tire," he says, kneeling down. I get out and I can clearly see that the tire is flattened. I take my phone out and call for a tow truck. Waiting for it to pick up, I examine the area.

The long road next to a forest on one side, an open field on the other. A few cars pass here and there, but other than that, its still.

My phone beeps and I sigh. "No signal."

Drake runs a hand over his face angrily. "Shit."

Audrey crawls from inside the car and stands outside with us. "What's wrong Daddy?"

Drake smiles and scoops her up in his arms, twirling her around. "Nothin', baby."

Audrey giggles as he sets her back down. "Okay, Daddy."

A car pulls up behind us. Drake sighs with relief and shields his eyes as the headlights shine into his eyes.

"Y'all need some help?" a man asks, leaning from inside the car. He has a thick country accent.

"Yeah," Drake says, going to stand next the car. "Our tire blew out, can you help us?"

"'Course, partner!" The man smiles. I go to stand next to Drake, leaving Audrey leaning on our car and humming to herself.

So we spend thirty minutes pumping the car up. After, Drake thanks the man with a huge smile on his face.

"Thank you so much!" he says, shaking his hand. "We appreciate it."

"No problem." The man slides back into his car and starts it.

He pulls out a gun.

Drake steps in front of me. "Grab Audrey and get in the--"

A gunshot rings out through the night. Drake scream, grabbing his side, and collapses.

"Aubrey!!" I look around desperately. "Audrey come here! Where are you?!"

The car pulls away, and as they do, I look through the open passenger window and see Audrey's tear streaked round face.

"MOOOOMMYY!" she screeches as the car whizzes past.

Tears fall down my cheeks. "Audrey. . ." I whisper.

I look down and see Drake leaned up against the car, gripping his side and breathing hard. I fall next to him, hugging his shoulders.

"Baby, where does it hurt?" I ask, my voice cracked. He removes his hands and all I see is blood quickly seeping from a small hole in his shirt.

I help him up and he hisses with pain. He stands, supported by the car, as blood falls from between his fingers.

"He shot me," he says in a breathy voice, barely audible. "Bastard shot me."

There are no more tears left to fall.

I stick my head inside the car. Those mother fuckers. The fuel gauge is on "E". They took the gas without us knowing!

I step back out and put my arm around Drake's shoulders again. Guiding him, we walk a few steps, one at a time.

"We gotta find help," he murmurs. "They took Audrey."

"I know, Aubrey," I say, trying my best to sound positive even though my mind is a swirl of possibilities.

My baby is gone.

My other baby is dying.

We walk for thirty more minutes before we find a giant tree that over looks the road. I carefully set Drake down and watch him float in and out of consciousness, his eyes opening and then closing and opening again. The blood keeps flowing from the wound and I have nothing to wrap it with.

Nothing.

Drake suddenly grabs my face with both hands and kisses me. Tears slide into our mouths and when we break, Aubrey looks into my eyes.

"I love you baby," he says before his eyes flutter closed and his body goes limp.

I catch him before he slumps against the ground.

"Aubrey?" I ask, tears once again flooding my eyes. "Aubrey? Wake up, baby. Wake up for me." I put two fingers to his neck and feel a faint heartbeat.

Faint.

I start bawling, cradling his head against my chest. "Wake up!" I scream, my pleads met by no response.

Blood gets onto my shirt. His life is seeping out of him.

He's dying.

You got what you want, I think, sadness and anger clashing in my mind. You took my babies away from me. You took them both. You have succeeded.

I look up to find a pair of headlights heading towards me.