Chap. 29

Sodas POV

I heard a soft knock on the window as my eyes fluttered open.

I looked over to make sure it hasn't woke Pony before opening the window as i yawned.

"Dal?" I asked as he stood with a smirk on his face.

"Come on." He smiled.

"Why are you here so late?" I asked as I streached.

"I need to talk." He replied.

"About?" I questioned.

"Anything. Just talk." He shrugged.

I sighed and shut the window before turning and long on a flannel and my sneakers.

I snuck to the door and pulled it open. Dally was sat waiting on my with a smile.

I shut the door behind me and we made our way to the sidewalk.

"Why did you want to talk?" I asked as I stuffed my hands into my pockets.

"Because I just needed to. You know? Like there's so much and just sometimes I need to talk to someone." He chuckled as he looked at his feet.

It was quiet for a few seconds. I looked over at him.

"Why do you talk to me?" I asked quietly.

"I don't know. I guess I relate to you. Both of us are deep people but we would never show anyone but each other." He replied. It was true.

I had never sat and rambled to anyone like Dally. I did love Steve with all.of my heart but Dally was the type of person you get around and just start letting everything spill from your lips.

"How's Johnny?" I asked. He smiled sadly and kicked a pebble.

"We are on a break. He's upset. Confused." Dally sighed.

"That goes for both of us." I chuckled.

"Steve having another breakdown?" He asked as we walked toward the park.

"He's confused. I'm confused too. I need air to breath." I said as we climbed on top of the money bars.

It fell quiet.

"You love him?" Dally asked.

"I love alot of people. Pony, him, Darry, you, twobit, Johnny. You have to be more specific." I replied.

"You want to spend your life with him?" Dally asked.

"Yeah. Yeah I do." I replied as I nodded my head and looked over at him.

"I want to spend my life with Johnny." Dally said quietly.

"You're my best friend..  you know that?" I asked.

"Yeah. You're mine too, Sodapop." He smiled as we looked at each other.

And as things always ended we kissed.

His tounge in my mouth, skin on skin, as we had just confessed our love for other people we were kissing.

Maybe it was the broken hearts.

Maybe it was lust.

But we we're kissing.

I pulled away and smirked, shaking my head.

"It seems every time we do that it leads to bad things." I laughed.

"Who's gonna tell? Soda that's how both of us are." He said shaking his head.

"We get hurt and we come to each other for comfort." I laughed. He nodded and lit a cigarette.

"We sure do." He smirked.

He hopped off the monkey bars and smirked at me.

"And now that I've done that I have realized I need to find Johnny. I'm a very unhappy person without him, Soda." He smirked as he pulled out a bottle of vodka from his pocket and took a swig.

"You have vodka?" I laughed. He smiled at me and took a swig of the bottle.

"Only when I'm hurt. Now I'm going to go to Bucks, cry, drink, sort things out and realize I love Johnny, and drive to him." He said as he turned to walk away, but he turned on his heel and looked at me, taking his cigarette from his mouth and taking another swig of vodka.

He never said: drive and make it to Johnny. He said drive.

I didn't say:you shouldn't drive drunk. This can wait until morning. Don't drive upset. Come back with me and go in the morning. Don't drink.

I said nothing.

"Soda. You remember that question?" He asked me.

"Yeah. What happens to you when you die?" I repeated his life question.

"I found the answer." He smirked.

"And it is?"

"Surely something... maybe." And he took a swig of vodka, a drag of his cigerette, shot me a grin and walked away, his smoke trailing behind him.

Surely something.

God I surely should've said something.