Chap. 38

Steve's POV

I ran a hand through my hair as I creeked the door of Dallys room open, his scent hitting me like a ton of bricks.

Cigarettes, cheap cologne, and sex.

I took a step in and inhale sharply.

"You gonna come in Johnny?" I asked softly, looking over my shoulder. We had agreed as would clean out his stuff, but I didn't think Johnny could take it.

"It smells like him." Johnnys voice shook.

"If you can't do it I'll-" I started but he walked right past me, to his bed, curling up with the blankets shoved to his nose.

"I'll get his clothes." I said, sliding his drawer open. I emptied them out with a heavy heart. His shirts he would never wear again. His jean he would never be able to touch again.

I picked up a pair of jeans and a paper fluttered out.

It was folded in half and had Johnny Cakes written in loopy letters. I looked over at Johmmy, wondering if I should read it.

"Johnny... there's a paper with your name on it." I handed it to him and he sat up, unfolding it.

I watched his face as a smile cracked over it, then a quivering lip then a sad smile and tears.

"What... does it say?" I asked softly.

He wiped away a tear and handed it to me.

There on the inside was written P.S. I'm falling in love with you. - Love Dally.