Chapter 4

Y/N'S POV

  I changed into something comfortable, given I was going to the skating rink with Erik. Tyler and his "girl" had left, so I was glad about that. I grabbed my phone, wallet, and a bag to put them in.
  I couldn't find my purse, and I didn't have much time before Erik arrived.

  When the doorbell went off, I opened the door and Erik asked me,"Were you waiting for me?"

  I laughed and replied,"No. I just happen to be by the door. Give me two minutes."

  Erik nodded and I closed the door, making sure I didn't leave anything on. After I double checked the apartment, I opened the door and locked it behind me. Erik motioned for me to walk in front of him. For that, I sent him a confused look.

  He said,"Go. It's the right thing to do. It's so I can make sure no one tries to take you. You're my friend."

  I smiled at Erik and walked in front of him. When we made it to the last stair, Erik led me to his car and opened the passenger door for me.

  I hesitated, and Erik rested his hand over mine saying,"Y/N, we're gonna have a good time. You don't have to worry about Tyler. You're free right now. I promise to watch you. I'm not going to kidnap you."

  I got in very slowly, and Erik let out a sigh as he closed my door. He got in and began to drive to the skating rink.

  I leaned back on the seat, and Erik said,"Your sister is really nice. She looks a lot like you."

  I said,"I know. I got that very much growing up. Sometimes, it was a bad thing, though. When she got in trouble, mom would punish me instead of her. She never said anything. I would get her back, though."

  Erik chuckled and said,"Good. Y/N, help me understand something.."

  I already knew what Erik was referring to, and I admitted to him,"People change, Erik. Tyler changed. He used to be sweet, but at one point, my opinion became little to no concern to him. He started to get possessive. Then, I found myself where I am now. I've tried trying to figure out if there was something I could've done to stop myself from getting into a relationship with him, but I was younger then. I didn't think Tyler would ever become something else. I thought he would stay the way he was, and we would get married after college. My mistake, right?"

  Erik wanted to say something, but I don't think he knew what to say. I think I fell for Tyler because I wanted a boyfriend. Everyone else had one and always boasted about how great it was to have one, but it seemed like the opposite with me.
  I guess that was my lesson on not trying to be like everyone else around me. I was better off thinking about my education.

  Erik finally said,"Maybe you need to use that same mindset when you're dealing with Tyler now. Stop letting him throw you around and control you. Start trying to own your own life and decide what you want to do with it. I've had to do the same. Maybe that's what you need to start thinking about. Stop wasting all of your free time thinking about what he has done and begin thinking about what he won't do anymore. It will take time, but you should start now."

  I looked over at Erik and back at the dashboard, then he announced that we were at the rink. I got out, and Erik held open the door for me. There were many people here, but it was mainly kids and their parents at the rink.
  I went to hand Erik money to pay for myself, but he pushed my hand away and paid for me. He handed me my skates, after asking for my size, and led us over to a place to sit.

  I said,"Thank you for paying for me, Erik."

  Erik nodded and helped me put on my skates. He was able to stand up with no problem, yet I was struggling. I almost fell on my butt, but Erik caught me.
  He held my hands to keep me steady and laughed a little, trying to lighten up the mood some. Erik helped me onto the floor and noticed how I was practically holding him.

  He asked me, with a huge smirk across his face,"I thought you were an expert?"

  I corrected Erik by saying,"I said I liked it, not that I was an expert. Plus, it has been a while since I've done something like this."

  Erik nodded, and I noticed my hands were still in his. Erik noticed, too, but he didn't say a word.
  Erik slowly began to lead us around the floor, as I tried to get back into skating.

  Erik said,"It's all about getting into the feel of it, Y/N. Just follow my lead. We'll take it nice and slow until you get it."

  Erik held my hands tighter, as I tried to stay at the same pace as Erik. However, it did get to a point where we were skating pretty fast.

  Erik chuckled and said,"Look at you. You're getting it. I'm proud of you."

  I smiled at Erik very brightly, and Erik smiled back at me.

  When I became hungry, I asked Erik,"Can we get some pizza or something?"

  Erik joked saying,"You're hungry already?"

  I punched his shoulder, and Erik said,"Okay, girl. Geez, I was kidding. C'mon."

  When Erik let go of my hands, I was a little disappointed. I took off my skates and so did Erik. We gave them back to one of the workers and grabbed some pizza.
  As I sat down with Erik, I kept looking around, worried Tyler would show. Even after Erik said he would watch over me, I was still worried.

  Erik took my hand and squeezed it saying,"Y/N, stop. Stop."

  I sighed, and Erik and I finished the pizza. Unfortunately, it was getting late, and Erik had to take us back.

  As I sat with him in the car, he said,"I had a good time, Y/N."

  I replied,"I did, too, Erik. I miss being able to have fun without Tyler right behind me. Thank you for spending time with me."

  Erik nodded and placed a kiss on my cheek. He held on for a few seconds, but it felt reassuring in a way.

  Erik pulled away slowly and said,"Anytime. Go on up there. Don't want Tyler to have an excuse to hurt you. Night, Y/N."

  I said,"Night, Erik."

  I got out and jogged up the stairs, then I opened the apartment door. Tyler wasn't back yet. I threw on some pajamas, but Erik was calling me.

  Maybe I left something in his car?

  I said,"Hello?"

  Erik sweetly said,"I just wanted to make sure you made it in. You all right?"

  I smiled as I replied,"Yes. I'm great. Good night, Erik."

  Erik said, ending the call,"Night, Y/N."