Chapter 10

Y/N'S POV

   I turned on my side as I had a hard time staying asleep. In order to keep myself from going crazy, I looked at the time and realized it was 9 A.M. To most, this time was too early, but it was around my usual time to be up. I was only up this early in the past because Tyler always got up early.
  I knew things were different now, since Erik and I were technically dating now. I wanted to be in Erik's arms right now, but I still felt some type of attachment to Tyler. Why, I don't know, but it could be because I had always been there with him. No matter how he treated me. A lot had happened for me or to me.

  I decided to make breakfast for Erik and me. After the breakfast was made, I placed the eggs, sausage, bacon, grits, toast, pancakes, and orange juice on the table.
  I heard footsteps and Erik was walking out of his bedroom.

  He ran his fingers through his hair and said,"Hey, Y/N. What are you doing up so early?"

  For some reason, I became afraid and said very quickly,"I..I'm sorry, Erik. I didn't mean to. I was just trying to fix breakfast and-"

  Erik walked up to me and hugged me before I hugged him back.

  I found myself relaxing in his arms, and he said,"No. I didn't mean it like that, baby. I thought you'd sleep all day."

  I looked down, and Erik asked me,"What's wrong?"

  I admitted to Erik,"If you're going to hit me, go ahead and do it. Tyler used to get up early every day and I had to get breakfast ready early, so he wouldn't hurt me. I'd have to make sure I was up before him. If not, I had to be ready to defend myself as best as I could."

  Erik lifted my chin and looked me in the eyes saying,"Y/N, you have to realize I'm not Tyler. I know it's hard to get past him, but you will. Just give it time. I'm not going to hit you. Smile."

  I gave Erik my best smile, and he chuckled saying,"There you go. We'll work on it. Hey, it smells really good in here. You outdid yourself."

  I smiled before Erik kissed me.

  I kissed him back, and he mumbled,"Sit. The least I could do is sit with you and enjoy the meal you made. Oh, where are my manners."

  I went to sit down, but Erik stopped me and pulled out the chair for me. I sat down and thanked him.
  He nodded, and Erik sat down beside me. He let me pick out my food first, which was new for me. He just sent me an encouraging smile. Diligently, I picked out what I wanted.

  After I was done, Erik looked over at my plate and asked me,"Is that all you're eating?"

  I nodded, and Erik shook his head saying,"You couldn't possibly get full from that. All you have is a couple of eggs and a pancake. Let me see your plate."

  I sighed and handed Erik my plate. He placed too much food for me to eat on my plate, but he told me I had to eat it to make sure I didn't pass out. I gave in and ate everything before I noticed Erik was waiting on me.

  I apologized, but he waved it off and kissed my cheek. He took both of our plates and brought them over to the sink.

  I asked him,"Erik, do you need help?"

  Erik replied,"No. Go lay down or something. I've got this."

  I nodded and laid down on the sofa.

  As Erik washed and dried the dishes, he asked me,"Y/N, do you trust me?"

  I answered,"Yes. Why wouldn't I trust you?"

  Soon, Erik joined me on the sofa, and it took me a minute to get used to him being so close to me.

  He wrapped his arms around me and looked down at me, asking me,"Why would you?"

  I explained to him, in the best way I could,"Well, you saved me from Tyler the first time I met you, and you've always been there to help me. You helped me see that I could fight off Tyler if I just pushed myself. You made me believe that I was worth more than Tyler gave me credit for. You gave me a chance at being your friend and now, you want me to be your girlfriend. I don't see why I would let you down and not trust you. Why did you ask me that, Erik?"

  Erik let out a sigh and sat up. I thought I said something wrong, so I sat up, too.

  Erik said to me,"I wouldn't. Not after what I'm about to tell you. My real name isn't even Erik."

  I made an "oh" face, and I asked Erik,"What's your real name, then?"

  Erik looked me in the eyes and admitted to me,"My real name is N'Jadaka. My father's name was N'Jobu. He was the brother of King T'Chaka. You have heard of King T'Chaka, right?"

  I nodded and said,"Yeah. He was the one that died in that terrorist attack at the United Nations a few weeks ago, right?"

  Erik took my hand and said,"Yes. He is the King of Wakanda. Well, he was.."

  Erik laughed a little, and I looked at him confused.

  I said,"Look, Erik. N'Jadaka. Whichever one you want me to call you. That's not funny. He lost his life. I'm lucky Tyler didn't do that to me. What's amusing about that?"

  Erik walked over to one of the apartment walls and pulled out a brown book.

  He handed it to me and said,"Look through it. This belonged to my father. He was from Wakanda, as I am, too. They betrayed him. They betrayed us. Left him here. They didn't let him come back to his own home, and I lost him anyway."

  Tears formed in Erik's eyes, and he said,"I was out playing basketball with my friends before I saw some kind of jet fly away from our apartment. Well, this apartment. I rushed up here and there he was. Laying right over there on the ground. You wanna know something? He had panther marks in his chest. I know T'Chaka killed my daddy. They just left, Y/N! Baby, they didn't even have the decency to bury him or anything! I was left alone."

  Erik took my hand again and tightened his grip on my hand. I found a necklace inside and placed it around Erik's neck.

  I made him look at me and explained to him,"Erik, yes, this is a lot to take in, but I'm glad you told me about who you really are. Look, Erik, I know how easy it is to hold pain in, but it's something we both have to work on. I also know how it is to go through terrible things alone. Look at me. You won't have to do that anymore. You've stuck by me, so now I'm doing the same for you. Understand?"

  Erik wiped his tears with my hand still in his own before he weakly said,"Thank you, baby. Thank you."

  I nodded, and Erik wrapped his arms around me again. He buried his face in my neck, and I gladly began to comfort him.
  As I did what I could, something told me that this wouldn't be the last time I heard about Wakanda, King T'Chaka, or even N'Jobu. Something told me this was only the beginning.