Chapter 18: Battle

Madison froze. Her legs felt like led. How could Vermeer see her? Then she realized, he could see Winston too.

"You didn't know I could see through invisibility, did you? Well, a powerful king I am, Madison. Surprised you hadn't thought about that." King Vermeer raised his hand, and Winston and Branton became visible.

"Who shall die first?" Vermeer had the men held in tight, magical grip, swinging them in the air.

"I know!" He said. "The one who thought he could

travel to Wonderland with Madison!" Vermeer shouted. Madison heard Winston struggling to breathe.

"No!" Madison shouted. She sent a wall of magic towards Vermeer, hitting him hard, sending him flying against the palace behind him.

Madison broke the seal surrounding the gate, and shoved Daisy and Branton inside the gate. "Go through the portal! Winston and I can take care of this!" Madison commanded.

"Madison, we'll stay behind the gate, and fight them off! You go use those packets." Branton said, grabbing his pistol.

She nodded. "Come on, Winston. Let's go do this," Madison grabbed Winston's hand. Winston handed her a packet, and, in unison, they threw the packets on the ground.

Bright colors of all sorts surrounded everything. Madison and Winston were in their Wonderland outfits.

They both held each other's hands, and kissed. It knocked everyone down, and a numbing sound filled the air, ringing in all ears.

"You think it's that easy, boy?" Vermeer's voice boomed through the air. "Queen Alicia probably told you that, huh? Well, I've grown much more powerful since I last saw her!" Winston disappeared beside Madison, and she knew right away where he was. With Vermeer.

"Come and find him, Madison! Good luck!" Vermeer cackled from what seemed like every direction.

Salem then ran up to Madison, grabbing her around the waist. "What do you think you're doing!?!" Madison shrieked. "Let go of me!" She struggled against Salem's grip, but couldn't free herself.

"You are coming with me!" Salem picked her up, and carried her towards the Palace Vermeer.

"Madison!" Daisy and Branton shouted at the same time. Madison heard a pistol shot, and Salem's body crumpled on top of her. She fell to the ground, kicking Salem's body off of her.

"Thanks!" Madison said, waving at Branton.

A scream cut through the air. "Winston, I'm coming!" Madison recognized that it was Winston's voice.

Madison turned invisible, and headed in the direction of the scream.

Prince Bates saw the footprints moving on the ground below Madison's invisible body.

"Think you can help him, Branton?" Bates shouted, pointing a pistol just above the footprints.

Bates shot the pistol, and Madison fell to the ground. She turned visible, and groped her ankled.

"What- Madison?" Bates lowered the pistol, and went over to Madison. But, before he could crouch to the ground, Daisy shoved Bates out of the way. She picked Madison up, and scolded Bates.

"Why did you shoot her?" Daisy sounded outraged.

"I thought she was Branton! Who else would be going after that fool earl?" Bates answered.

The pain from the wound was making Madison's urge to find Winston even greater. If she didn't make it out alive, Winston was.

"Daisy," Madison murmured. "I think I can walk. Just set me down on the ground, please."