Chapter 12: What?!?

Riley's Pov
  I was at my wit's end. I was helpless. Someone please tell me what to do! The doctor is checking on Carla now. It had been close to forty-five minutes. I didn't know had any idea what was going on. I called Naralle to inform her about the current situation of Carla and she said that she will rush down immediately.

  Suddenly, the doors open, pulling me out of my thoughts. "Mr King, may I ask if you are the next of Kin of Miss Simmons?"

  "No, I am not but can I see her?" I asked desperately. "I guess you can, as long as you do not give her further stress."

   "What is her condition doctor?"

  "She is actually suffering from brain tumour, which is diagnosed three months ago. Previously, when she was admitted to the hospital, the staff knows about it but she asked us to keep it discreet and not to tell anyone. She refuse to undergo chemotherapy to kill the cancer cells from spreading and her days are rather numbered."

  I froze in realization. No wonder she was a little suspicious there days and didn't ask me about my purpose in doing some things. No wonder she was looking so pale these days. What should I do someone tell me?

  "Can I check on her?" The doctor seemed to contemplate his decision.

   "How about her next of kin?"

   "He's here." Naralle appeared behind me with Finn tagging behind.

  "The next of kin will go first and the others can then enter." I nodded while I went over to the row of chairs to take a seat.

  She only have some time left.

Flashback
  Martha held my hand. "Nothing will go wrong."

  Tears rolled down my cheeks. How is nothing going wrong? Everything is rolling downwards. I clutched her hand to my heart.

  "Martha, stay strong for me okay?" My voice faltered as I was uncertain for the future.

  She merely smiled before going back to sleep. I inhaled a deep breath, hoping the best for the future.

  Currently, I am feeling the same for Carla. What if she can't fight against cancer? What if I lose her? What if? I teared up but I reminded myself to keep composed and to help her along the way.

  It was unforgivable about the way I had treated her given that she was a patient. I should have controlled my feelings and spare some thought of hers. This might only be a deal but I am sure that it had progressed further than that.

  "My sis is conscious now and she is calling for you." Finn walked out if the ward, looking downcast.

  I pushed open the door and had to suppress a sob when I saw Carla lying there with a the tubes sticking out of her body.

  "Ri... Riley." Her voice came out hoarse.

  I rushed to her side as I clutched her hand tightly. Tears trickled down my cheeks.

  "Carla, I apologise for the way I had treated you. It was unforgivable but I hope that you d my hold a grudge on me." Carla nodded and gave me a weak smile. She wiped away my tears.
  "I don't blame you Riley. Everyone has their down moments." She smiled and looked at our entwined hands.

  "Er, Riley, I think we should cancel the marriage." I looked up in shock.

  "Why? Do you think I will dump you just because you are sick?" She flinched slightly at the tone of my voice. I immediately softened.

  "Not about that but I don't want to tie you as a married man especially when I am going to be gone soon.

  "Don't say that! You must have faith in yourself! We will figure this out together."

  She immediately broke down. Her strong façade was gone. I sat beside her and carefully hugged her, making sure to not touch any of the tubings.

  "Riley, I really do not want us to marry under these circumstances. How about this, I will marry you when I fully recover from my illness."

  "Alright." I kissed her forehead and left her to rest.

  I went out of her ward, allowing Naralle to check on her.

  I dropped a text to my mum, telling her to cancel the wedding and telling her that all will be explained soon.

  "Hello Jeffrey, please cancel all my meetings for the rest of the week or get Ritchie (Riley's best friend) to step in. Call me only when there is an emergency." I called my personal secretary to inform him of my absence.

  I shifted all of Carla's belongings to my house and tidied my room. I set up her necessities in my room and made sure that everything was in order before setting another room up for Finn and Naralle. I provided them with a table, bed and a wardrobe. I will have to get my movers to move their stuff tomorrow. In this way,  I will be able to keep track of Carla and make sure that she will not be lonely even when I went to work.

  I drove to the hospital to stay with her for the night. I bought my dinner and went there to eat.

  "Carla, I am here."

  "Hi!"

  "Carla, can you go for chemotherapy please?"

  "But it is will be hopeless and I do not want to go through the pain."

  "Please do it for the sake of me okay? I will support you throughout the entire process. Carla, please..."

  She contemplated it for a while as her eyes were downcast.

  "OK." She replied sometime after.

  I kissed her on her forehead and passed her some of my fries.

  "You are the best!" she mouthed at me and I laughed.

  Just when there is a smile on her face, it seemed just like the good times, when we were free of worries.

Carla's POV
  The "truth" was out. Naralle knew about it since she saw me taking my medicine. She wasn't happy when I told her to keep it a secret. However, she respected my decision and took extra care of me.

  I decided to go for the chemotherapy for the sake of Riley.

  Finn was slightly mad at him for not telling him this but he didn't stay angry for long, promising to take better care of me in future.

******---*****
Yeboi! Another chapter is up! This is a pretty sad one but it needs to be written. By the way peeps, please bear in mind Martha. Her story will be told in the later part of the book. Enjoy your time reading :)
Word count: 1107