Chapter 24: What happened?

Riley's Pov
I spent time alongside her, somehow trying to make up for the lost time. Seconds turn into minutes, minutes turn into hours, hours turn into days. She's still unconscious.

The doctors previously told me that they placed her under an induced coma when they spotted activity in her brain. After the pain relieved, they pulled her out of the coma. That's 2 days ago, and yet there isn't any change.

But something I know for sure is that, even though she's not showing any improvement of recovery, I will still stand by her side, clinching onto that tiny little hope I am left with.

Ritchie agreed to run my company for the time being, he knows I am not in any fit to do so.

Finn dropped by a couple of times. He is fully recovered after the operation. He clasps Carla's hand tightly each time, telling her how much things they have not done as siblings. Before he leaves, he would give me a bro hug, whispering into my ear, "She'll be fine."

I sat next to Carla every single day, reminiscing our lost memories. That was the moment I realised that we have our whole world ahead of us. We have so much more to do, so much more to enjoy.

"Carla, once you wake up and fully recover, let's go for a vacation. We have so many scars to heal. Let's go and see the world, travel around this globe and enjoy what's there to enjoy. This sounds tempting babe and I am so excited thinking about this! But you have to wake up to accompany me along these trips. Let's create more memories." I kissed the back of her hand.

Every single day, I stood by her side. I only went home to take a shower and buy her some clothes and daily necessities so that she doesn't have to be short of anything when she wakes up.

I made sure that she wasn't alone, asking her brother to stay alongside her while I was away.

As of Naralle and my dad, I am still thinking of a way to make their lives harder and sadder.

The doctors told me she is showing improvement, especially her brain activity. I also noticed that whenever I talk to her, her eyelids tend to twitch.

After she wakes up, she will still have to undergo chemotherapy. That will be another challenge for us as well. But for now, let's just take things one at a time.

"Carla, you have been missed by many babe, wake up please... " Her hands twitched after I said that. Her eyelids fluttered.

Come on babe, you can do this!

Just like I have prayed for, her eyelids fluttered and soon after, I saw two beautiful eyes.

"Carla, Carla, how are you feeling?"

"Riley, where am I at?" She used her hand to shield her eyes from the bright light.

"You are at the hospital, don't you remember anything?"

She shook her head, still feeling disoriented.

"Stay still, let me get a nurse to attend to you." I pressed the bell. Within minutes, a nurse came in.

"Hi Mrs King, I am Nurse Naura and I will be your nurse. How are you feeling?"

"Groggy, confused and thirsty."

"Actually that's normal for anyone who have just woken up from a coma. I will get you water in a short while. Remember to drink in small sips." She came around and adjusted the pillows for Carla to sit upright.

After a short while, she came in with a pitcher of water and a bowl of soup. Carla drank quietly.

"So what had actually happened?"

I told her everything, from that time she left me. She listened to me attentively, her face showing the emotions she felt at that point of time.
It was as if all the memories of that horrible accident came back to her. She started sobbing. I quickly went over and hugged her, gently stroking her hair.

"Babe, they are no longer going to come for you anymore." I whispered softly.

The embrace we had was so good. It was as if we were trying to make up for the lost time. I carressed her hair until she calmed down.

"Thank you Riley, thank you for everything."

I kissed her forehead, "It's what I'm supposed to do, need not thank me babe."

The warmth from the embrace had healed our wounds and scars from underneath. All we ever need is each other.

Carla's Pov
I am glad that Riley is here by my side. He is the pillar of support for me. He never fails to cheer me up and make me smile. He brought flowers for me each day just to cheer me on.

I know I have to deal with chemotherapy soon and it's going to be a hell of a ride. But knowing Riley is by my side makes me feel stronger and he's the reason why I push myself on to live.

Who would get acquainted with a girl who has such a tainted past? What did I do to deserve him? Nothing, absolutely nothing.

*****___*****
Woot! I haven't been getting the writing vibe lately but here's an update! Not very long but I just hope that the short sentences and deep words would be able to bring about an impact.

Please give me suggestions as to what else should I write to keep the story going.

Question: Favourite festival of the year?

Word count: 920 words