Chapter 27: Rejected

Carla's Pov

No, this can't be happening. 

I stumbled backwards.

Flashback (Each paragraph is a different memory)

"Carla, you are safe with me," Riley hugged me tightly.

"Here's some porridge for you babe, you will need lots of rest to recover quickly." 

Riley has been nothing but good towards me. 

"We're here in Bali, Indonesia! One of your dream destinations!"

We shared such an intimate kiss.

Even when my best friend turned her back against me, Riley held me tight comforting me with his warmth.

[End of Flashback]

I don't deserve him.

Riley's Pov

After I asked her to marry me, her soft smile immediately turned into shock and sadness. 

Please, please say yes. I can't lose you after such a long and arduous journey. 

Carla's Pov

"I'm sorry, but no Riley. I am not someone you should get acquainted with. I have a whole load of baggage with me. I'm sick and poor. Besides, I might not make it after the operation. I do not want you to be tied down with me as your wife." I paused, as a small tear dropped out of my eye. 

"There are many fishes in the pond. Riley, find someone else to be your wife. Someone better than me, someone prettier than me and lastly, someone who would be able to take care of you forever." I reached out and traced Riley's cheek with my finger. 

Giving him a last kiss on the cheek, I walked away.

Riley's Pov

Seeing her silhouette fade away, I started crying. 

It is as if the sky knew my sorrow, it started pouring rain. I crumbled on the ground. Why? Why? How am I supposed to find someone else better than her? 

Carla's Pov

I reached the hotel.

I sat on the bed and tears started to flow out. I guess this means the end for us. 

Riley,

Thank you for taking such good care of me. I would never be able to repay all that you have done for me. 

Take good care of yourself. 

You are a great man, someone like me doesn't deserve you.

Till next time,

Carla

I placed the note on the table and packed my luggage, heading back to London. 

I took a last glance at the place, before stepping out and never turning back.

Riley's Pov

I went to the bar nearby to grab a drink. Shots after shots and yet I still seem to remember everything.

I stumbled out of the bar and took a stroll along the road. I opened the box and the ring sparkled. If only Carla had said yes, we could have celebrated and enjoyed each other's embrace now. 

I looked up at the moon, questioning myself what did I do wrong that made Carla reject my proposal. 

Looking at the ring for the last time, I threw it into the rubbish bin. 

We are never going to work out anyways. 

I went back to the hotel, thoughts filled my head.

Just when I stepped in, I could sense the emptiness of the room. She really left. 

I guess I had a little hope left in my heart for her to tell me that all of this is a joke and that she will marry me. And guess what, that hope is shattered yet again. 

I saw a note on the dresser. I picked it up and read it. Tears flowed down my face. All of this is real, who am I kidding? I clutched the paper tight to my chest as if that is the only thing left of her. 

I miss you, Carla. I will, forever. 

Carla's Pov

I sat on the plane, looking out of the window. I wonder how's Riley doing. The thought of him moving on makes my heart clench. 

But this way it is better for both of us.

I went to sleep, trying to numb all the sadness I was feeling. This is so hard, so painful. 

Riley's Pov

I looked at the moon while trying to heal my broken heart. 

Carla, 

I hope that you will not regret not choosing me. I also hope that you will have a better life without me. I will sincerely pray for you in my heart. (this is adapted from the song 毕竟深爱过)

Thank you for opening my eyes to the beauty of this world. You have taught me a lot. You made me learn how to smile, how to laugh and how to love. 

Thank you for everything, but I will have to move on.

*****___*****

Hey! Short chapter but this brings tears to my eyes, hopefully it did for you guys too! 

I will try to update more during this holiday and please keep the reads coming in so that I will be more motivated to write and post! 

Before Christmas, I would like to thank all of you guys for giving my book a chance! Whenever I am feeling low, I will remember all the support you guys had given me and feel much better!

Daily Question: What language have you always wanted to learn?

For me, I have always wanted to learn French or Spanish and when I downloaded the Duolingo app, I accidentally pressed on the German option without even knowing it myself haha! I learnt German for like a week without knowing it's German! But now I enjoy learning German and I am learning it leisurely. What about you?

Word count: 909 words