Chapter 29: Cousin

Carla's Pov

I felt like as if something was off. Everleigh started acting weird ever since she had answered that call. She treated me as if I was of a higher level than her. Apart from that, someone also ordered 100 muffins on that day. We have never gotten such a request before. 

Shaking my thoughts off, I took off my apron and got off work, not before bidding Everleigh goodbye. 

As I was walking, I felt as if someone was watching me. I turned back and yet, realised the street was empty. This is getting weirder and creepier. I quickened my footsteps in a rush to reach my home.

I'm still in the middle of my chemotherapy sessions and my hair has pretty much fallen off. I wear a wig that is pretty much similar to my old hair to conceal my baldness.

I think of Riley all the time. He's just so so precious to me.

"Hey, may I ask if you are Jaslyn? The new worker at our bakery?" I approached her.

"Yes, that's me! Nice to meet you, may I know what's your name?"

"I am Carla, hopefully, we can be good friends." I smiled.

Jaslyn seems like a pretty nice and outgoing person, I can tell that we are going to be good friends.

Jaslyn's POV

I am actually Riley's cousin and we are pretty close.

He kept on talking about a "Carla" and asked me if I could help him do a favour.

I agreed immediately. Riley helped me a lot, especially when my parents passed on. He was like the brother I never had.

I flew to London and went for the job interview. 

The boss of the bakery does not know that I am related to Riley. 

Hopefully, Carla and I would get along well.

The Next Day

The interview was fairly simple and I got accepted. I was kind of apprehensive to meet Carla since I have completely no idea how she looks like and I am just in general not really looking forward to making friends.

I walked into the bakery and did not really know what to do. 

A woman approached me. She was beautiful. Her facial features were so defined and she just had that charisma. I could see that she was a little pale, maybe she's undergoing chemotherapy, just like what Riley told me. 

I immediately sensed that we would get along well. 

"So, for today, we had someone who ordered a hundred blueberry cupcakes. We usually do not receive such orders but recently, we have been having this particular person ordering batches of cupcakes. Since you are new here, you could help me pack these cupcakes into the boxes. If you need any help, do approach me!" 

I smiled, Riley has really found the right girl. Both of them are a match made in heaven, it is just sad that they are so blinded by their feelings to not see the love that they have.

Riley's Pov

Jaslyn gave me constant updates on how Carla was doing. I had set a picture of Carla with whipping cream on her nose as my lock screen.

I stared at the lock screen, longing for her to be in my arms.  I should not have proposed to her so quickly. I was taking things too fast. I really wanted her back into my arms but I am not enough for her. She deserves someone better.

I asked my personal assistant to mail Carla the contract. I do not know where is she staying but I am going to mail it to the bakery she works at.

Carla,

In this envelope contains the original document that we both signed when I forced you to be my wife.

I am giving you the choice to do whatever you want with this contract. 

You are officially free, Carla.

Riley

I placed the slip into the envelope. Yes, I know I sounded cold and unaffected by this whole situation but I am not. I just do not want her to be obliged to be together with me because of my stupid feelings. She is too nice, she will do anything to make me happy.

But I don't deserve her...

Carla's Pov

I received an envelope, the next day at the bakery. I was curious and suspicious. No one knows that I am here which is why I never received such mails. I opened it and the contents fell out.

Tears trickled down my face as I read the note Riley wrote. His tone was cold. He doesn't love me anymore. 

I brushed my tears aside and changed into my apron, readying myself for work. 

Jaslyn's Pov

When I arrived at the bakery today, I realised Carla was not her usual self. She was less talkative and not as cheerful, although I coll tell that she tried her best to make me not notice her sadness.

I sent Riley an email informing him of Carla's gloominess and he did not reply. I was getting really suspicious. What did Riley do to make my friend so sad?

I dropped Riley a call. 

"Hey bro, did you do anything to make Carla sad?"

"I sent her a note that's it."

"What was the tone of your note?"

"I wrote it in a cold tone. Because I do not want her to think that I still have feelings for her but instead for her to move on and forget about me."

"Oh my goodness, are both of you blind?!?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean... Nothing, anyways how are you doing?"

"Great, I have a meeting to catch, Talk to you later!" With that, he hung up.

I sighed. These two lovebirds are really blind. I have to concoct some sort of plan to bring both of them back together.

Hmm...

*****___*****

HEY GUYS! Sorry for the late update! Please continue sending me the support and love!

A little bit about myself:

I am a music person. I play the cello and violin and used to play the Guzheng. I really love Billie Eilish songs!!! I have been writing this book for 2+ years now? And I really hope to hit 100k!! AHHH I am so excited YAY!

word count: 1017