Chapter 23: Wake up

Riley's Pov
The paramedics lifted Carla up the ambulance and I tagged along with them.

God please don't do this to me, we have so much more to do...

Along the way to the hospital, I prayed silently in my heart and held Carla's hand tight. The paramedics were busy at work, doing what they can before we reach the hospital.

Ritchie decided to drive there and will meet us at the hospital. Ritchie had also informed my mother about this issue. She said she would meet us at the hospital as well.

If only you we had reached earlier, if only I had never offered the deal to her, if only...

"Sir, we are about to reach."

I immediately jumped out and stayed out of their way.

"Emergency case! Immediate operation!" As they wheeled Carla, I followed them, holding Carla's hand tightly.

"Sir, you will have to wait outside." That's all said and I no longer held Carla's hand. The loss of her touch made me feel cold and empty. Just then Ritchie came.

"Here, have some water. Take deep breaths bro, she will make it through." He passed me a cup of water and pat my back.

"Oh bro, in case you are wondering, that f**k*r didn't managed to escape. He is where he should be at." I merely nodded, not being able to think about anything other than Carla.

My mum hurriedly rushed into the waiting room.

"My son, what happened?" Ritchie, seeing that I was in no state to answer her questions, took the initiative to relate to her the events.

After listening to the story, she sat there stunned, with her mouth and eyes large open. She couldn't take the fact that her husband was a pervert. She didn't know the situation would escalate to this level.

"Oh, my baby boy." She half hugged me and stroked my hair. I sat there numb, just wanting to know how's Carla.

After what felt like a century, the doctor finally came out of the operating theatre.

"We have managed to remove the bullet from her. Previously, she was supposed to start her chemotherapy for brain cancer. However, due to delays, the cells have spread. We will start chemotherapy as soon as she's conscious and then put her through radiotherapy as well to ensure that there are minimal cancer cells. As of now, she is in a coma, as of when she will be awake, we do not have a definite answer. " The doctor had a grim expression on him.

As soon as the news hit me, I staggered backwards.

"Could we see her?" Ritchie asked.

"Yes, but make sure its just one at a time, a maximum of two. Do not talk loudly too." With that, he walked away.

We slowly followed the nurse to see Carla. I decided to let mother and Ritchie to see her first because I am not ready for that. Firstly, I didn't do my part as her husband, to protect her. Secondly, when she open her eyes, she moment she sees me, she will hate me. I will not be able to experience that horrible feeling.

meine Liebe... (my love in german)

Carla's Pov
  Flickers. Flickers of memory. I could kind of hear people's conversations at certain periods of time.

  "Emergency operation... Cancer cells spread... Unconscious... Dangerous..."

  Darkness... again.

Riley's Pov
  After mother and Ritchie exited, I knew it was about time that I head in.

  "Good luck bro." Ritchie pat me on the back.

  I took a deep breath and opened the door.

  She looked lifeless. She looked so small. Her body was filled with many tubes and wires. Her face is pale and she just don't look herself.

  I inched closer to her. Sitting on the hard and sturdy chair, I slowly grasp her hand  in mine and kissed her hand gently.

  "Carla, I greatly apologise for being such a bad husband. I should have took great care if you, I shouldn't have neglected you. Don't worry, Naralle and my father are locked safely in prison. They shouldn't even dream of coming out of where they belong. Just focus on getting better okay? Don't worry too much because everything is just going to get better. We will be in this together."

  I spent the next few hours with her, adjusting her bed, talking to her and hydrating her dry lips.

  "Bro, your clothes." Ritchie knew I wasn't going home anytime soon and provided me with clean clothes so that I could change.

  I nodded at him and headed to change while he looked after Carla for that time being.

  I splashed water onto my face. Unknowingly, tears trickled down my cheeks. Carla doesn't deserve to go through all of this. She did so much good deeds, she should be enjoying life now.

  Riley, wake up, you don't have time to be sad. You have to take revenge for Carla. You have to stay strong for her. Wake up Riley..

Carla's Pov
  "Mum, dad? I finally get to see you again! Where's this place? Am I dead?"

  "Honey, you are not dead. This is heaven, where we belong. We have always been looking out for you from here. I must say I approve of Riley. He's a good guy."

  "Then mum, why am I here?"

  "You are here because you have a choice of whether to stay here or to return to your world."

  "What do you mean?"

  "If you jump into that river, you will return back to your world. But along the way, you will meet difficulties and you must defeat them."

  "But mum, dad, I don't want to leave you guys!"

  "But darling, look at there, Riley needs you. You've got my approval for that guy."

  Days passed as I spent lost time with my parents. They asked me about Finn and said that he will be forever in their prayers.

  It's time for me to make a decision, real soon.

*****___*****
Boom! I say I like it like that!
Really an amazing chapter hope y'all did enjoy!
Do let me know what kind of content do y'all want for the next chapter!
Until then, adios!

Word count: 1032 words