Chapter 17: Really?!?

Riley's Pov

After the break down that Carla has, I was a little worried about how this will ultimately turn out. What if she does not enjoy this trip? How? My father is going down my neck about the marriage and wants me to get married ASAP. I explained to him my current situation but he is just adamant. I am sure he finds something amiss but he just keeps his mouth shut.

Meanwhile, we are sightseeing and just enjoying ourselves, although I can tell that Carla is still not herself and the facade she is putting on is forced. My dear Carla, I know this is just a deal but I already have feelings for you. I know I haven't said that I love her yet but I am planning to do that during this trip, hopefully it will turn out well and she will understand that my feelings towards her is genuine.

Currently, her brother is recovering pretty well from the surgery and is doing fine. I am more concerned about Carla. She is not eating enough and there are lots of times she couldn't fall asleep normally. She cries herself to sleep and my heart clench at that sight.

My dear Carla, don't give up on us.

Carla's Pov
Don't ask me why am I thinking so negatively these days. Maybe after that operation, I finally understand that agreeing to this deal was a mistake in the first place. There will never be an "us". It's just the fact that I am a burden to him. I do not even have a degree and having cancer will lead to me not being able to conceive. This just means that Riley does not have an heir to his business.

I know I am smiling but I believe that he can see through the mask that I am putting on. I can't do this anymore, I just can't. I agreed that I will stay strong for our sake. However, when I received a letter just before we left for Bali, I was taken aback.

"Mam, this is for you." I received the envelope and thought that it was just another postcard from someone. I packed it into my travel bag and decided that it is not important. When Riley was sleeping on the first day of our tour, I tossed and turned, unable to fall asleep. I suddenly remembered about the letter and went to open it.

Inside of it was a photo of Riley kissing his ex, I had identified the woman because I saw her photo and contact in Riley's phone. The letter was mainly about how I was never going to satisfy Riley's needs and that I should just give up on him. It was also stated about how she knows about my illnesses and would not hesitate to leak it to the media and humiliate Riley and me. It would also affect Riley's business and everything.

That night after Riley fell asleep, I had made up my mind to pack my stuff and leave. I had already booked a flight to London and hopefully, I will be able to find a job. I left my cell phone behind so that Riley will not be able to track me. I placed the envelope together with the letter I received beside my phone as well as the letter that I had written for him. Hopefully, I will be able to receive my chemotherapy treatment soon and get well again.

Riley's Pov

When I woke up, I felt the other side of the bed empty. I blinked open my eyes and frowned upon the sight. Where did Carla go? I stretched my arms and decided to find her. When I was getting a cup of water, I saw a letter directed to me. I frowned and read it.

Dear Riley, I am sorry for being a burden to you. Yes, I have been nothing but trouble to you. Now that your ex knows about my illness, she will most probably leak it out into the public, if that happens, we will be screwed. Apart from that, I don't think there is even an "us" in the first place. I am merely a waitress with no qualifications at all. What will the public think about us? Riley, I love you but they say if you really love someone, you want to see the person feeling happy, that is why I am letting you go. Do not worry about me, I will be fine. If we are really meant to be, fate will bring us together. Love you so much, Carla.

What was that? Why did she leave me? Why...?

I immediately dialled my private investigator to track her. She is a patient and the chances of her not being able to support herself are high.
After calling my PI, I tore open the envelope and saw what was in there. Apparently, my ex, Anita decided to scare Carla away.

I called Anita. "Hey baby, are you craving for my touch?"

"Anita go and f**k yourself! How can you even do this to me! She is my everything, how could you even chase her away like that?"

"She is just your f**k buddy, what do you mean by everything?" She let out a laugh.

"Don't forget that I have your dad's company at stake Anita." I hung up and punched the wall beside me. It didn't dawn on me how much a role Carla played in my life. Maybe we started of on wrong terms, but I can't deny the feelings I have for her anymore. I do not even mind losing my dad's company just to be with her. Why must she leave before we could even be together? I should have cherished the tines we had together instead of taking it for granted. (I know this sounds cliche)

I will find her and treat her the way she deserves...

*****---*****
Ahhhhhhhhhhh! It's finally doneeee! I am sorry my antes for the long wait! (yes I will call my readers antes cos antesipation 😽)
Hope y'all enjoy it and I know it's cray cray crazy but HOLD ON TIGHT!

Word count: 1034