Chapter 4

I watch the view outside the big window of Mr. Herondales house.

We both are clearly uncomfortable and sit in awkward silence

"So, how long you're in New York?" he breaks the ice giving me a glance of his gold orbs.

I immediately look at him smiling "Four years, I came when I got accepted in NYU and since then I live in a small flat with my friend Simon."

He nods looking at me with a steady expression and I can't help but get lost in his angelic face.

"So you don't have feelings for your friend?" he asks interested and my eyes go wide.

Well, this is an awkward question.

Why would he ask that?

"Um, of course not his like a family to me..." 

"Sure he is." Jonathan grins.

I suddenly feel my cheeks red. How more uncomfortable this conversation can be?

"C'mon I'll show you the house."

I nod following him.

I look around this is definitely a nice apartment. There a lot of beautiful paintings with angels and demons, simple but rich at the same time.

The furniture is simple monotone but very modern. There's also a piano, a really nice piano.

We walk towards it and my smile grows when he sits.

"You play?" 

"Well, Clary I have a piano at my house. What do you think?" His grin makes me drool even more and the way he said for the first time my normal name makes my heart skip a beat.

"Yeah right." I smile sheepishly.

He starts pressing the piano keys and the melody they eject feels so good. He definitely has talent. 

He moves his long fingers so easy, it's like nothing to him. I suddenly recognize the music and my lips curl into a smile. He plays Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata.

His eyes are closed shut and I can see that he feels every note.

I stare at him amazed, how can he be so perfect? And charming and handsome-

"Jace, Clary dinners ready!"

Jace opens his eyes and sighs stopping his fingers, I look at Isabelle and give her a surprised look. 

"Isn't he amazing?" she says and I blush feeling him staring at me and burn me with his eyes.

I nod slowly and Jace starts walking towards the kitchen.

Um okay?

"I hope you like Mexican"Isabelle informs me and I notice the dining table how rich it is with so many plates, salads and appetizers

My mouth starts watering. God, I can't even remember the last time I ate Mexican.

"Oh my God, did you made all these?" I ask Isabelle.

Jace snorts and Isabelle glares him.

"Nope, he did." she points a kinda young guy fixing something on a small plate which I didn't notice.

"Clary this is Raphael, our family chef, well his father is, but he's too!"

Raphael looks at me and gives me a kind smile. He is quite handsome.

"Hola Clary!" 

"Hi, nice to meet you." I give him my hand.

"Tambien..." he kisses my hand and I giggle at his nice Spanish voice.

Jace coughs.

"I'll be in the kitchen if you need me." Raphael says and disappears.

We sit in awkward sielence. 

"Jace don't be rude, fill Clary's glass with wine." Isabelle gives him a look.

Jace looks at me and then looks Isabelle, I can't quite understand his face gaze.

He gets up and comes towards my seat with a bottle of wine in his hands.

His sleeves are now rolled up and I can see his veins. 

Oh my god. 

Clary stop.

"Give me your glass." 

I hand him the crystal glass.

He takes it and starts filling it till the middle.

I stare at him again amazed, this man is definitely a work of art.

Then he hands the glass back to me. 

When Im about to get it, it slips from my fingers and the glass drops with all the wine falling on my dress.

I take a sharp breath.

Oh, my God, this isn't happening.

The crystal glass breaks into small pieces.

"I'm so sorry." I get up from the chair sharply.

I get down and start picking up the broken pieces. 

"Clary, its fine..." Jace informs.

"Im such a disaster." I can feel tears on my eyes as a piece of glass gets inside my skin.

"Clary"

My hands shake I already have destroyed the dinner and made fool of myself again in front of my bosses.

"Clary!" Jace says now pissed.

He grabs my wrist and brings me closer to him.

"You stupid girl, look what you did to your hands." he looks my bleeding bruises.

I stare at him with teary eyes. He's kinda intimidating.

"Calm down, it's not a big deal." now he's calmer and I breathe slowly.

"Yeah, honey relax."Isabelle gets up and gives me a smile.

"Raphael!" 

"Come with me." Jace puts his arm around my waist and I can feel his warmth.

We walk in silence and I sniff a few times. 

"Why would you be so upset about a fucking glass." we're now in the bathroom and Jace made me sit on a small stool.

His voice is angry and im kinda scared.

"I-I just..." I stutter cause I feel a big tight knot in my throat.

"You just what? Mistakes happen Clary, It's a stupid glass." He takes a small box.

He grabs again my wrist and pulls me closer to him, I can smell his strong cologne and I can't help myself but inhale a little.

"Why the hell would you pick up broken glass, how stupid can you be?Look at your hands." He looks at me angrily and his eyes are darker now, a dark shade of gold.

I look down embarrassed. 

He takes a deep breath."This will kinda hurt..." he sprays some relieving medicine and I jump a little as a quick pain ejects in.

My eyes shut close and my head falls on his chest as he gently holds my hands in his one. His other hand holds my head as he pats my hair telling me soft words.

"Shh, it's okay..."