Chapter 23

As I was preparing some expense reports I hear my desk phone ringing.

I quickly pick it with my eyes still glued to the screen were the files I should send to Ling Enterprises are loading.

"Isabelle Lightwoods office..."

"Clary, it's me can you come to my office please?" I hear Isabelle's serious voice.

I nod to myself. "Of course..." I decline and put the phone down. I save the files to not lost them for later and get up from my chair.

Magnus' eyes meet mine as I walk to Isabelle's office. He looks at me carefully making sure I'm okay.

I nod assuring him that everything's okay and today's morning didn't affect me doing right my work.

I haven't seen Jace yet, he said to come to his office when I'll have my lunch break. Today I was nervous to see him. 

This day is making me want to stay in my bed and never see anyone again, first happened this thing with Simon and now everyone at work looks at me and whispers. 

I feel so small and my self-esteem is down. 

I can't afford to have everyone think that I slept with my boss for a better salary or used him to give me a better position in another department.

I'm not like this. I know how to work hard.

I shake my head to disappear these thoughts that lower my confidence and knock Isabelle's office door.

"Come in" I hear her and open the door walking inside having my professional look. 

Isabelle was sitting in her big white leather chair, today she was wearing a black pencil dress with a turtleneck and her hair was in a low tight straight ponytail.

Like always she looked amazing.

"Clary, please have a seat," she says and then smiles softly.

My heart stopped for a bit, but her smile made me less nervous. She usually doesn't offer me to sit.

"Yes, miss Lightwood?"

She rests her hands down on her chin. "How everything's going with my brother?"

I froze at her question. This is it...I 'm totally getting fired.

My mouth opens to say something. But whats there to say? I can't lie. I'm not even good at lying.

My heart is about to come out my chest. What I'm supposed to say now?

Isabelle seemed to notice my surprise and awkwardness and chuckles. 

"Clary I know you two have a thing and don't worry I totally support it!" she smiles warmly and I feel like passing out.

Is this a dream?

"W-what? You're not gonna f-fire me?" I blurt feeling the knot in my throat disappear a little.

Isabelle's smile drops. "What of course not! Your one of the best assistants I ever had, you're so hardworking and always consistent, why would I do that?"

I let out a heavy breath I didn't know I held and smiled relieved. "You don't mind about me and Mr. Herondale?"

Her face softens and she offers me her hand. I take it and I feel her squeeze it.

"I see the way Jace looks at you. I haven't seen him smile or taking interest in someone besides his self in so long. You make him feel something."