Chapter 28

Clary's P.O.V.

Two weeks later:

"Of course, miss Lightwood will be updated instantly for your decision, thank you have a nice day." I say and end the call with Ling Enterprises representer.

Today the day was full, after Jace and Isabelle announced publicly that our company has a hidden spy from a rival company, our employees are in alert.

Jace finally was feeling better and his arm was almost healed, but he still wore a small cast. His forehead though had still a small scar from the stitches.

Also Jace, Alec, Isabelle and even me had a security guard to watch us 24/7 after Jace's accident. It was weird and uncomfortable but I knew we were safe.

I could finally say that everything's going well.

Almost perfect.

I'm doing well at work, the whispers and the rumors finally faded away. But obviously not all of them, some people like Daniel and Jace's secretary still devalue me.

Isabelle and I have come closer, now she's not only my boss but my friend too.

Literally just yesterday we went for spa.

Even with Alec we grew closer. Even though he looks like a cold and rude person in real life he's one of the funniest dorks I have ever met.

He and Magnus are officially 'boyfriends' and seem absolutely happy which makes me happy as well.

Simon and I are still best friends and as it seems his feelings for me faded. Now he's seeing someone else, he says it's not Maia and he's all the time in his phone when we hang out.

But the best part is that my and Jace's relationship is now on another level.

After the night of the accident and after our confessions about each other, Jace completed me saying that he wants me to move in with him.

Of course I agreed. I still will help Simon with the flat rent cause he hasn't finished his studies at the University and his job earnings would not cover everything.

Jace literally begged me to quit my job, he said that I didn't need to work, he would give me everything I wanted. 

It was sweet of him, but I'm not like this. I have and want to work, I wanna be independent and strong. Isabelle was very angry when she found out about Jace's idea.

The last few weeks I feel so much happier. I finally have the life I wanted.

Love and good friends that care about me. I couldn't ask anything more.

Sure, I still haven't save a lot of money for my small art studio but I'm still so young, I'll have more time in the future.

I obviously could ask Jace to borrow some money but I won't do that. I'll do it myself.

I sigh and close the file with the 'Ling Enterprises' documents that their employee sent me earlier to deliver to Isabelle. I was done and ready to leave almost an hour earlier but I stayed to study more these contacts.

"Finally..." I say and huff. I turn off my computer and grab my purse.

The department was empty, everyone had left. I think not a lot of people are in the company now. Just some cleaning ladies.

Jace and Isabelle left a lot earlier cause they had a meeting with 2 European companies.

Isabelle made me responsible for her department which had a little more work. I didn't complain, I loved working and keeping my mind busy.

I took my files ready to put them in my drawer and lock them when I noticed that one contract didn't have a second copy.

"Nooo..." I whine and walk towards my printer.

I huff in frustration when I see I don't have any freaking paper.

Really now?

The worst thing is that only my office had a printer cause I'm the Secretary and Isabelle's assistant.

Whatever I'll borrow some papers from Isabelle's office. I nod to myself and take the office keys off my purse.

She said to use them in emergency.

Well this is an emergency so?

I go and unlock the office door, I walk towards her desk. The only thing that sounds is the sound of my heels hitting the floor.

It sounded really satisfying.

I grab some papers and walk outside the office making sure I locked the door.

As I stop at my desk my eyes fell on a figure. A very familiar and unpleasant figure.

Daniel was looking around the hall and when his eyes landed on mine he paused and didn't moved.

I watch him suspiciously. What the hell is he doing here?

I raise my eyebrows when he starts walking towards me.

"Fray? What are you still doing here?" He asks confused and pissed.

"I'll ask you the same..." I took a step closer crossing my arms. Why the hell he is in this department?

"I was just leaving, not a big fan of elevators..." He says shrugging.

My lips pressed into a thin line, this is the cheapest excuse I heard.

I look him suspiciously, "that's weird, your shift ended 3 hours earlier."

I watched him as he rolled his eyes.

"And the company is now closed almost an hour..." His face darkened. Something doesn't feel right.

"And why are you still here? Herondale is waiting in his office for a quick fuck?"

His comment made my chest swirl with anger. Before he could say anything else, I took the courage and slapped him.

My hit surprised him and he grabbed his cheek.

My blood was boiling inside of me. I won't sit and listen to him as he insults me and Jace. That it.

He cockily smiled,"What happened? The truth hurts?"

He looked proud and amused. I felt the urge to punch him again.

"Don't you ever speak to me like that again!" I growled.

"I'm a lot more to Jace, and you know I could ask him to fire you for your attitude. I'll make sure you won't find a job in a company ever again."

I felt fury make its way through my body from my brain to my fingertips.

Daniel glared,"You fucking bitch..." he hissed and grabbed my neck with his two hands, cutting my breath.