Ramadān Qur'an Gem 5 {2: 127} : "Humility"

"The servants of the Merciful are those who walk on the earth in humility." (25:63)

Bismillah

Bismillah

Humility

(And when Ibrahim & Ismail were raising the foundations of the House (the Ka’bah), (saying), “Our Lord! Accept (this service) from us. Verily! You are the All-Hearer, the All-Knower.”

{Surat Al-Baqarah 2: Verse 127}

⚫️The building of the Ka’bah is no small deed. When we give charity to build masjids, we hope to receive a share of the reward. Imagine the reward of someone putting the foundation of Ka’bah with his own hands with his son.

⚫️And yet, even with the fact that Ibrahim (A.S). is a messenger of Allah, even when Allah said that he’ll be made as Imam for mankind to follow {Surat Al-Baqarah 2: Verse 124}, even when he passed all tests, even after all that, he was still humble & unsure if what he was doing was good enough for Allah. So he made du’a for Allah to accept it from him & Ismail (A.S).

⚫️The important lesson here is that we should be in a state of humility with regard to our good deeds. If we’re not constantly seeking Allah’s acceptance, because we assume that our deeds are accepted, then what will slowly seep into our character is self-righteousness. We begin to think we’re good, we feel we’re saved from hypocrisy or weakness of Iman – this is a dangerous attitude to have.

What we should have is a healthy balance of fear & hope that our deeds will be accepted by Allah – this is what the du’a teaches us. Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta’aala) is the All-Hearer, who hears our du’a; & He is also the All-Knower who knows the unspoken intention, sincerity & desperation behind our du’a.

Be humble.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

Gems extracted from tafseer of Surat Al-Baqarah by Ustadh Nouman Ali Khan.