Ramadān Qur'an Gem 27 {88:10-11}: "Glimpses of Paradise"

Paradise are things that no eyes have ever seen, nor ears have ever heard.

Bismillah

Glimpse of Paradise

(Other) faces that Day will be joyful. Glad with their endeavor. In a lofty Paradise. Where they shall neither hear harmful speech nor falsehood.

{Surat Al-Ghaashiyah 88: Verse 8-11}

When I was young, I didn’t get why Jannah is described as high gardens in the Qur’an. I figured out later that when we travel or go on a road trip, we’ll stop when we reach high places, where we can see far. When we go to a hotel, we want the top floor because we want the view. We go hiking on top of the hill, because that’s the most beautiful part. The most expensive property in real estate is the one with the best kind of view!

On top of that, there will be no useless, lewd, vulgar, obnoxious speech in Jannah. Most scholars commented that this ayat is referring to Rasulallah (Salallahu Aleyhi Wasallam). When Rasulallah (Salallahu Aleyhi Wasallam) gave da’wah, people said terrible things to him. So this is a gift from Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta’aala) to our beloved Rasulallah (Salallahu Aleyhi Wasallam).

One of the pleasures of Jannah is that there will be no bad talks. To us, we may wonder what’s the big deal? Because no matter how rich we may be, if someone – especially our loved ones eg. spouse, children – talk to us in a hurtful way, will all our wealth save us from not feeling hurt? We can have the best property, be the wealthiest person, but hurtful words can take all those pleasure away. This is one of the gifts in Paradise.

The passage continues:

Therein will be a running spring. Therein will be thrones raised high. And cups set at hand. And cushions set in rows. And rich carpets (all) spread out.

{Surat Al-Ghaashiyah 88: Verse 12-16}

These are the estates granted to the believers. May Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta’aala) grant us Jannah.

====================================
Gems extracted from tafseer of Surat Al-Ghaashiyah by Ustadh Nouman Ali Khan.