Ramadān Qur'an Gem 25 {88:3}: "Labouring and weary"

Bismillah

Bismillah

Labouring & Weary

Has there reached you the report of the Overwhelming [event]? Some faces, that Day, will be humiliated. Laboring (عَامِلَةٌۭ), weary (نَّاصِبَةٌۭ).

{Surat Al-Ghaashiyah 88: Verse 3

• Ever seen someone who came back from a long day at the office? You can tell from their faces of their exhaustion. The word عَامِلَةٌۭcomes from the word ’amal which means work. So this word illustrates 2 things:

1. It illustrates that there is some exhausting work going on at the Day of Judgment. People will be running around to escape from the horror, exhausting themselves:

Man will say on that Day, “Where is the [place of] escape?” No! There is no refuge!

{Surat Al-Qiyaamah 75: Verse 10-11}

1. Ibn Abbas (Radhiyallahu anhu) commented in his tafseer that this word refers to dunya. This state of fatigue is because they exhausted themselves in anything other than what Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta’aala) has commanded. It can include false worship, chasing wealth, or any worthless activities which are not spent to please Allah.

• And on top of that, they’ll be weary / نَّاصِبَةٌۭ. The word “nasb” means to be pegged inside the ground or to be wobbly, so tired they can’t even stand straight.
• Reflection: People can be so focused in expanding their career but at the expense of their marriage, their family, their Deen. They spent their whole energy and gave so much preference to worldly life that they didn’t even get a chance to enjoy dunya. On the Day of Judgment, they’ll be raised in an exhausted state still. And imagine: What is all that laboring work in comparison to what is in store on the Day of Judgment? Subhanallah.

Yes, we should excel in everything we do, but never, ever sacrifice our Deen in the process! Isn’t it a sad state of affair to work so hard, yet they all amounted to nothing in front of Allah? Instead we want to be the next group of people, where Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta’aala) says:

(Other) faces that Day will be joyful. Glad with their endeavor (for their good deeds which they did in this world, along with the true Faith of Islamic Monotheism).

{Surat Al-Ghaashiyah 88: Verse 8-9}

May Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta’aala) accept all our endeavor for His sake and make us from those whose faces will be joyful on the Day of Judgment.

====================================
Gems extracted from tafseer of Surat Al-Ghaashiyah by Ustadh Nouman Ali Khan.