Ramadān Qur'an Gem 11 {3:159}: "Being Leniant"

''Indeed, Allah loves those who rely on Him".

Bismillah

Being Leniant

And by the Mercy of Allah, you (Rasulallah s.a.w.) dealt with them gently. And had you been severe & harsh-hearted, they would have broken away from about you; so pass over (their faults) & ask (Allah’s) Forgiveness for them & consult them in the affairs…

{Surat Ali-‘Imran 3: Verse 159}

⚫️This ayat was revealed after the battle of Uhud. The Muslims were winning at the beginning of the battle, but the situation flipped drastically because of one major mistake: The archers broke the chain of command and left their posts and this one mistake had cost the lives of 70 of the greatest sahabah (radhiyallahu anhu), including the beloved uncle of Rasulallah (Salallahu Aleyhi Wasallam).

⚫️Imagine if this happened in our military today, what kind of severe court punishment would be imposed on the soldiers! Yet Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta’aala) revealed the ayat to Rasulallah (Salallahu Aleyhi Wasallam) to be lenient towards them, pass over their faults, ask Allah to forgive them & continue to consult them in future affairs.

⚫️Rasulallah (Salallahu Aleyhi Wasallam) is being told to be gentle with the sahabah in a situation where loved ones were killed. Yet look at us. We lose our temper over keys that are lost, cellphones we can’t find, over a phone call our spouse didn’t pick up… And we say we love the Sunnah of our Prophet (Salallahu Aleyhi Wasallam).

⚫️This is a lesson for all of us because we are leaders too, aren’t we? When the wife, child, employee, friend disappoints you – what’s our reaction? How do we respond?

Gems from “Leadership” khutbah by Ustadh Nouman Ali Khan.