Ramadān Qur'an Gem 9 {3: 134} : "Characteristics of Al-Muttaqun part 3

Allah Loves to forgive and those who forgive

Bismillah

Characteristics of Al-Muttaqun, The People of Taqwa (Part 3)

Those who spend [in Allah’s Cause] in prosperity and in adversity, who repress anger, and who pardon men; verily, Allah loves Al-Muhsinun (the good-doers).

{Surat Ali ‘Imran 3: Verse 134}

Please refer to the previous posts for the first & second characteristic of Al-Muttaqun.

⚫️The third characteristic is that they lovingly pardon others consistently. They don’t just forgive, but they forgive out of love for the sake of Allah.

⚫️Sincere forgiveness is done privately, not in public because this will only humiliate that person (or may even start a new fight!). Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta’aala) revealed to Rasulallah (Salallahu Aleyhi Wasallam):

And by the Mercy of Allah, you dealt with them gently. And had you been severe & harsh-hearted, they would have broken away from about you; so pass over (their faults) & ask (Allah’s) Forgiveness for them…

{Surat Ali ‘Imran 3: Verse 159}

We have to learn to deal with people gently, forgive others, & make du’a to Allah to forgive them too in our private moments. But if we find ourselves that we can’t make du’a for them, then it’s an indication that there is still some anger left.

⚫️If we find this is still hard to do, reflect on this ayat:

…Let them pardon & forgive. Do you not love that Allah should forgive you? And Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.

{Surat An-Nur 24: Verse 22}

Imagine: There is a scale. On one side is the weight of my anger & on the other side is the weight of my love to be forgiven by Allah. I am given this choice whenever I get upset. Which is more important to me? Is my anger & revenge worth more than Allah’s forgiveness?

⚫️So when we find ourselves difficult to forgive someone, remind ourselves- I want to lovingly forgive others because I want to be from Al-Muttaqun. And Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta’aala) ends this ayat with a reminder. Allah loves those who excel in their Religion i.e. Al-Muhsinun.

__________________________________
Gems extracted from Characteristics of the People of Jannah & Khutbah – Who Are The People of Taqwa by Ustadh Nouman Ali Khan.