Ramadān Qur'an Gem 10 {3: 135} : "Characteristics of Al-Muttaqun, Part 4

Taqwa is when the slave fears from his Lord with regards to things even the weight of an atom.”

Bismillah

Bismillah

Characteristics of Al-Muttaqun, the People of Taqwa (Part 4)

And those who, when they have committed Fahishah or wronged themselves with evil, remember Allah & ask forgiveness for their sins & none can forgive sins but Allah – And do not persist in what (wrong) they have done, while they know.

{Surat Ali ‘Imran 3: Verse 135}

⚫️“Fahishah” refers to something shameless, lewd, & vulgar – can be in the form of actions, words, or even a gaze to fulfill one’s lust. “Wronged themselves with evil” refers to anything that does not bring any benefit eg. backbiting or jealousy.

⚫️The people of taqwa, when they have committed these sins, IMMEDIATELY, WITHOUT A FRACTION OF DELAY, remember Allah and ask for His forgiveness. There is no ‘summa’ or ‘fa’ to indicate even an instance of ‘then’ / ‘after that’.

⚫️This is something hard to do. When we disappoint someone, we get embarrassed & avoid meeting them. Know that Shaitan will use this AGAINST us & make us feel like a total hypocrite. If we succumb to these thoughts, we will get too embarrassed to stand before Allah. But ask ourselves: Who else can forgive & cover our sins except Allah? Don’t fall into this trick of Shaitan.
There is one other condition to be the people of Taqwa: They don’t persist / return to the sins they did. Don’t be like those who when commit sins, they do istighfar but are convinced that they will make the same mistake again or look forward to do the same sin because they know they can make taubah anyway. This is a DEFEATED mentality!

⚫️As humans, even after making sincere taubah, sometimes we do fall into the same sin by accident. This is what Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta’aala) is referring to in this ayat. We should make istighfar again with a firm determination not to repeat the same mistakes. Don’t ever give up! Hold yourself at a higher standard!

⚫️What we learn is that even the people of Taqwa will make mistakes, but the difference between them & most of us is what they do AFTER they committed sins. May Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta’aala) make us people of Al-Muttaqun & people of Jannah. And the passage ends with this ayat:

For such the reward is forgiveness from their Lord & gardens with rivers flowing underneath an eternal dwelling; how excellent a recompense for those who work (and strive)!

{Surat Ali ‘Imran 3: Verse 136}

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gems extracted from Characteristics of the People of Jannah by Ustadh Nouman Ali Khan.