Ramadān Qur'an Gem 22 {25:74}: "Coolness of the eyes (Part 7)"

Allah teaches us a very beautiful supplication (dua) in Surah Al-Furqaan ,that He wants us to ask Him with.

Bismillah

Coolness of the eyes (Part 7)

رَبَّنَا هَبۡ لَنَا مِنۡ أَزۡوَٲجِنَا وَذُرِّيَّـٰتِنَا قُرَّةَ أَعۡيُنٍ۬ وَٱجۡعَلۡنَا لِلۡمُتَّقِينَ إِمَامًا

And those who say: "Our Lord! Bestow on us from our spouses & our offspring the coolness of our eyes & make us leaders for the Muttaqun."

{Surat Al-Furqan 25: Verse 74}

•"The eyes becoming cool" is an Arab idiom. The Arabs when travelling in the desert would wrap their faces to protect from sandstorms. However, they cannot afford to cover their eyes without losing their vision, so they had to keep their eyes exposed. When they finally found a refuge, interestingly they would say "My eyes have finally become cool." So in literature, this expression equates to finding refuge from a storm.

•This is what we are asking from this beautiful du'a. Ironically in many of our homes, the storm that we are seeking refuge from is not outside, but inside the home. Our homes are broken - the depression, sadness, yelling & insults between spouses, siblings, parents & children have made us run away from what is supposed to be our refuge from the outside storm. This is the crisis of the world today.

• (hab Lana) هَبۡ لَنَا means to ask a special favor from Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta'aala) to be granted an unexpected, beautiful gift especially for us. We ask Allah to grant from our spouses & not just our immediate children - but even our future lineage & generations to come - the coolness of our eyes. Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta'aala) teaches us to ask Him so perfectly and eloquently for our home to become a place of refuge - that when we come home to our spouse & children, our worries disappear.

• To depict how powerful & beautiful this du'a is. Know that there is no stronger bond between a mother & her child. So imagine the state of desperation of Musa's (Alayhi salaam)'s mother when she put her baby in the water to save him from Fir'aun. Will he be ok? Will he drown? Will he get dehydrated? Will he be picked up by Fir'aun's soldiers? She didn't know! So can you imagine her emotion when she was finally reunited with Musa (Alayhi salaam)? Look how Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta'aala) describes that emotion.
So We restored you to your mother, that she might cool her eyes & she should not grieve.

{Surat Ta-Ha 20: Verse 40}

Allah is describing the most amazing joy & relief! The most indescribable feeling in the heart by the same expression: the coolness of the eyes! This is exactly what we ask from Allah from this powerful and beautiful du'a.

May Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta'aala) grant us with spouses & children who are the coolness of our eyes & that He makes us leader of the pious & righteous.

====================================
Gems extracted from "My Favourite Du'a in the Qur'an" lecture by Ustadh Nouman Ali Khan.