Ramadān Qur'an Gem 13 {18:1-2}: "Qayyiman"

Bismillah

Bismillah

Qayyiman

All the praises & thanks are to Allah, Who has sent down to His slave (Muhammad SAW) the Book (the Qur’an) & has not placed therein any crookedness. Straight (Qayyimaan) to give warning of a severe punishment from Him & to give glad tidings to the believers, who do righteous deeds, that they shall have a fair reward (i.e. Paradise).

{Surat Al-Kahf 18: Verse 1-2}

⚫️ Scholars commented that the word ‘Qayyiman’ stresses and emphasizes that the Qur’an stands constantly upright and will not budge. To make it easy to understand the language, imagine this: 2 guys are talking about how A likes hockey and B likes basketball. A says: Hockey is the greatest sports in the world! But B gets so emotional that he doesn’t have time for an entire sentence, so he exclaimed: BASKETBALL! One word, that’s it.

⚫️This is actually the form used in ‘Qayyimaan’. Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta’aala) says: “He has not provided any room for deviation in the Book. UPRIGHT!” Like: Get it through your heads – this will never budge! YOU will budge! If you want strength & confidence come to this Book! If you want to stand up for something & need a courage of heart to be able to stay on it, no matter what people say, & to stop fearing other than Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta’aala), then stick to this Book!

⚫️ ‘Qayyim’ also means stand, the opposite of sitting, which is a sign of courage. This word suggests that the Qur’an doesn’t sit around when the world changes or when bad things happen around us. The Qur’an takes a stand, it has something to say. The Qur’an will make you stand up straight against deviation.

Believers stand up & speak the truth & enjoin good!

{Surat Al-Asr 103: Verse 3}

⚫️ ‘Qayyim’ also means resolve, having a mission. The Qur’an gives us a sense of purpose. It reminds us that we have no time to waste to accomplish more & more good things & get away from bad things.

May Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta’aala)  make us of those who cling tightly to the Qur’an & Sunnah of Rasulallah (Salallahu Aleyhi Wasallam) that will hold us up upright from deviation within cultural & norms of the society.

Gems extracted from “Cultural Shock & Integration” khutbah by Ustadh Nouman Ali Khan.