Ramadān Qur'an Gem 8 {3: 134} : "Characteristics of Al-Muttaqun, Part two

People of Taqwa- Those who spend when they have plenty of money and when they have very little it.

Bismillah

Characteristics of Al-Muttaqun, The People of Taqwa (Part 2)

Those who spend [in Allah’s Cause] in prosperity & in adversity, who repress anger, & who pardon men; verily, Allah loves Al-Muhsinun (the good-doers).

{Surat Ali ‘Imran 3: Verse 134}

Please refer to the previous chapter for the first characteristic of Al-Muttaqun.

⚫️The second characteristic is that these people consistently swallow (كظم) their anger.

⚫️Let’s understand first what it means by “swallow”. When we’re chewing on something, someone can see the cheeks moving or tell that there is something in our mouths. But if we swallow the food, can anyone see if we were eating? No, because it disappeared.

⚫️Similarly, when we hold our temper, that anger is still evident on our facial expression. But the people whom Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta’aala) is describing in this ayat are those who completely suppress their anger to the point that others are unaware that they’re angry! And this word also indicates that they do it consistently, taking the opportunity to swallow their anger each time they’re upset – as though nothing is wrong.

⚫️By using the word ٱلۡڪَـٰظِمِينَ ٱلۡغَيۡظَ, Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta’aala) has given us an imagery for us to have such good control of our temper. He (Subhanahu Wa Ta’aala) is reminding us that when we do come across something that makes up upset, or when we get into a disagreement with someone who is entirely obnoxious – no matter how offended that they make us feel – we have to learn to swallow our anger.

⚫️Sometimes, the smallest of things can make us really upset. But if we want to be from the people of Al-Muttaqun, we need to learn & persevere in this. We hope Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta’aala)  doesn’t get angry at us whenever we make mistakes, so ask ourselves: How then can I get angry at every single thing?

Rasulallah (Sallalahu aleyhi wasallam) said, “The strong is not the one who overcomes the people by his strength, but the strong is the one who controls himself while in anger.”

{Sahih Bukhari – http://sunnah.com/bukhari/78/141}

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gems extracted from Characteristics of the People of Jannah & Khutbah – Who Are The People of Taqwa by Ustadh Nouman Ali Khan.