Fighting for our lives

Rey's Pov

The fight didn't last too long. Kylo and I had almost lost our lives multiple times in the past 10 minutes, but we were now taking the upper hand. I killed one guard before getting trapped by another. He was about to kill me when I let go of my lightsaber and ducked under him, quickly turning around and dealing the last blow. I was relieved for a second before I heard a distressed groan from behind me.

I saw Kylo held in a head lock as the guard's weapon was forced closer and closer to his neck, his own out of reach. "Ben!" I called before throwing my lightsaber towards him. He reignited it as soon as it reached his hand and made the killing blow to the guard. None were left now.

Both of us took a breath and I was almost joyful but then I remembered the Resistance. I looked out the window again to see only a few ships left. "The fleet! Order them to stop firing! There's still time to save the fleet." I said to Kylo. I turned to see him standing over Snoke with Luke's lightsaber in his hand. "Ben!" I called.

"That's my old name." He replied. "What?" I asked confused. "It's time to let the old things die. Rey, I want you to join me. Snoke, Skywalker, The Sith, the Jedi, the Rebels, let it all die. We can rule together and bring a new order to the galaxy." I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

"Don't do this Ben. Please don't go this way." I said, pleading. He stepped over to me. "You're holding on!" He accused. "Let go." He continued to approach but not in a way that seemed intimidating, although it scared me even more. "Do you want to know the truth? About your parents? Or have you known all along? Have you just, hidden it away? Let it go. You know the truth, say it." He asked.

Tears came to my eyes. I tried to deny him, but he was right. I did know the truth. I had just denied it for so long that it turned into my greatest fear. "They were nobody." I admitted. "They were filthy junk traders that sold you off for drinking money." He said, making me remember the whole truth. "They're dead." He finished.

Tears filled my eyes as I heard what he said, I heard a faint groan behind us but paid no attention to it. "You have no place in this story. You come from nothing, you are nothing. But not to me." He said. My eyes widened slightly but I still felt betrayed by him and almost everyone else. "Join me, please." He asked with a slight plead. He turned the lightsaber off and held it out to me.

Y/n's Pov

Memories I thought I would never have to remember came back into my head, but they were all based around one thing. The kyber crystal heart. I was confused as some of the memories didn't even seem to be my own but I couldn't escape.

The first memory started when I was only about five. All the children in our small village had been brought together. Apparently someone special had come from far away to find the answer to an old prophecy about two kyber crystals. All the kids ranging from three to fifteen were tested for something. Our parents were all out looking for junk parts to sell and our caretakers had all agreed on letting this happen. Our parents probably would have too. Who knew, it might bring luck to the poor town. Three kids were chosen for further testing, and I was one of them.

That night, when my parents came home, the person who had come questioned them on things I did not yet understand. My mother had to leave for bed in the middle of their talk because she was tired and pregnant with her second child. My father called for me to come out from my small room and greet the man.

"This man has a gift for you. Say thank you." My father said. "Thank you." I whispered shyly as a little pouch was given to me. "Remember to never lose these. One day you will uncover their secrets and know how to use them." The man said before disappearing out the door. I was confused but I promised myself I would never lose what was in the bag. I later found out that the contents were two kyber crystals that formed a heart shape when joined together.

My parents had tried multiple times to try and take them away from me to sell them but I always kept them around my neck with a string wire that I had scavenged, through holes in them.

—————

I woke up with a small groan. I had no idea where I was or what had just happened until I looked around. I was in a large room that had burning down curtains and I could hear two people talking not too far away. I almost instantly remembered when I saw Kylo and Rey.

Kylo seemed to be asking Rey to join him but Rey was saddened that Kylo hadn't really changed and pleading for him not to do what he was saying. I sat up slowly as my whole body ached. I was surprised to find I had no serious injuries.

When I looked towards the other two not long later, I noticed they were trying to force something out of the air into their hands and not the others. "No." I whispered as I saw the force was tearing it apart. I noticed that it was Luke's lightsaber, but that didn't matter as much as the fact that if the kyber crystal inside it was forced open, it would erupt in an explosion that could kill anyone near it. I couldn't ever remember learning this, but somehow, I just knew.

I slowly got to my feet, the effects of being blasted into a wall still showing. I almost collapsed back to the ground in dizziness and pain but continued to stay upright. Only one thing was on my mind, and I planned to succeed. I took a few slow steps forward, before finding it would be too late if I tried to reach them.

Instead, I straightened myself up and reached out with the force. I focused my eyes on the lightsaber and concentrated everything I had on it. I could already tell the crystal inside was already cracking inside and would soon split. I asked the force to help me and the lightsaber wobbled a bit. I tried again, but this time focusing on placing a force field around to hopefully contain the explosion a bit better. The force field could be seen slightly as a purple transparent bubble around the lightsaber.

Kylo and Rey stopped trying to force the lightsaber into their hands in surprise and it flew straight towards me before exploding, covering the room in a bright light. The force of the explosion hit me back into the wall and all I could see was white, until it all turned black.