Chapter 23 pt.1

Abel:
After Kenzee's dad had the cops drag her out our apartment two weeks ago, we barely spoke. He took her phone and macbook so there was no way for us to communicate. We tried to talk at school but the semester changed, which means we both got new schedules and we didn't have any classes or lunch together anymore. I'd be lucky if I even saw her in the hallway. I'd try to talk to her after school but her dad was always there to scoop her as soon as the bell rang.

It was starting to drive me crazy not talking to her. I couldn't sleep 'cause all I could think about was her and how I could somehow fix this situation. Maybe I needed to apologize to her father, but for what? I was defending his daughter, something he didn't do.

My phone vibrating on my desk snapped me out my thoughts.

When I picked it up I scrunched my face up in confusion when I saw a text from Kenzee.

Zee👰🏽: Meet me @ the park in 20 min

Abel: At the park? Its cold af outside and its bout to snow

Zee👰🏽: 🙄 Just meet me here and we can go somewhere else

Something told me that it wasn't Kenzee texting me and this was just some sort of set up.

Abel: This is really Kenzee?

Zee👰🏽: Yeah I found where my dad was hiding my phone

Abel: What's the code word?

Zee👰🏽: Tuskegee

Abel: Okay now I believe its you

Zee👰🏽: 🤦🏽‍♀️ Now hurry up and get here. Im freezing 😬

I tucked my phone into my pocket then rose my hand.

"Yes, Abel?"

"Can I get a pass to the nurse? I feel like shit."

Ms.Jackson shook her head. "No need for the profanity but yes, I'll write you a pass."

I grabbed my stuff and walked to the front of the classroom where she was sitting at her desk. She wrote me the note and I put it in my pocket as I walked out of class.

I made sure there was no one around before slipping out one of the doors and starting to walk to the park.

Ten minutes later I was at the park and I could see Kenzee sitting at one of the picnic tables bundled up in her coat.

She smiled when she saw me and stood up to give me a hug.

I wrapped my arms around her tightly. "I missed you."

"I missed you too."

She looked at me and the look in her eyes quickly went from happy to concerned.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, why?"

"You look like shit."

I laughed. "Thanks."

"No, seriously what's wrong? Are you sick?"

"No, I just haven't been sleeping well and I guess I've been smoking and popping a lot more than usual..."

"Why?"

"I just been worried about you...worried about us..." It started to flurry a little. "C'mon, we can talk at home."

Our apartment wasn't too far from the park so it only took us about ten or fifteen minutes to get there.

I took the key from my pocket and unlocked the door for us.