Chapter 36

Abel:
I stood in the mirror as I buttoned up my white shirt and tucked it into my black dress pants. It was finally graduation day and I couldn't wait to just get this shit over with so I could see Kenzee and we could spend the weekend together.

Since it was also the last few weeks before our wedding, we weren't aloud to be together so she had been at her parents house. I only saw her at school or when her parents were home so they could supervise and it was agonizing.

"Abel, are you ready yet?" I heard my mom call from the living room.

"Almost!"

I tied my bowtie before going into my room and getting my dress shoes. I slid them on and went downstairs into the living room.

"Aaw, look at my baby boy." My mom smiled and fixed my bowtie for me. "I'm so proud of you son."

"Thanks ma."

I grabbed my cap and gown then we left out of the apartment.

"Where are you going for senior weekend again?"

"Cobourg beach."

"Who all is going?"

"Me, Lamar, Hyghly, Kenzee, Melody, and Symone."

"Ooh...you guys are staying in one hotel room?"

"No, two."

"Boys in one, girls in the other?"

"Yes mama."

"Good, good. And there will be no drinking, right?"

"Yes, we're just going to hang out, maybe do a bonfire or something."

"Okay, okay."

We drove to the event center and when we pulled up, I saw all the other seniors filing into the building.

"How are you going to fit your cap on your head?" My mom asked. "You should've got a hair cut."

"Kenzee sewed a headband to the inside of it so it'll stay on my head."

"Ooh, that was a good idea...I still think you should've got a haircut though."

"My hair isn't going anywhere mama."

She rolled her eyes. "You'll have to cut it sooner or later."

I shook my head as I put my gown on over my clothes. "I'm gonna go find my spot in line."

"Okay baby." She kissed my cheek. "I love you."

"I love you too ma."

I held my cap in my hand as I walked into the building with the other seniors. I looked around for Kenzee for a few minutes but I didn't see her anywhere.

"Mr.Tesfaye." I turned and saw Mrs.Miller behind me. "You should be in your spot by now. We're going to start soon."

"I'm going now...by any chance, have you seen Mckenzee though?"

"No, I haven't seen her."

"Ooh...okay. Thanks."

I started to walk away but she stopped me. "Ooh, Abel these are for you."

She held up a yellow and pink cord.

"I get cords? I thought those were only for smart kids."

She snickered. "You are smart Abel."

"What are they for?"

"You'll find out during the ceremony."

"Okay..."